BladeSystem - General
1753950 Members
7579 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion

Is it Possible to use a BL860c I2 taken from a BL890c I2 combined config?

cmroberson
Frequent Visitor

Is it Possible to use a BL860c I2 taken from a BL890c I2 combined config?

My company acquired a BL890c I2 Blade Server. I would like to dissassemble it and use the individual BL860c I2 blades. Is this possible? I am unable to find any documentation regarding this.

2 REPLIES 2
Ihaqueit
Trusted Contributor

Re: Is it Possible to use a BL860c I2 taken from a BL890c I2 combined config?

Its not a good idea chances to malfunction or permanently stuck.

I Haq
cmroberson
Frequent Visitor

Re: Is it Possible to use a BL860c I2 taken from a BL890c I2 combined config?

Thank you for your quick respnse. I am a technician and have experience with all major OEM's prducts having also worked for HP, attended C-Class Blade school and worked wtih just about all models of HP servers including old PARISC and newer Itanium systems. I have configured, upgraded firmware, and loaded HP-UX on many HP BL860c, I2 & I4 blade servers, as well as Intel blades.

I share that background so that you may know that i would not be averse to a more technical explanation as to why the BL890c I2 (which really should just be four BL860c I2 blades conjoined) cannot be dissassembled and converted back to four BL860c I2 blades presuming all correct compnents are installed on the BL860c I2, ICH Mezzanine, processor(s), and memory.

Are there any configuration changes made to the four original BL860c I2 system boards, after they are conjoined to make the BL890c I2 or BL870c I2, that would prevent them from again being used as a single BL860c I2 blade server?

As I mentioned in my first post, I have been completely unsuccessful in finding ANY documentation on this subject.

Thanks