5756 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: OA forgotten password

Paul Goscombe
Occasional Contributor

OA forgotten password

Hi,

We have inherited a second hand c7000 enclosure for our test system. The OA is running v2.0. We would like to upgrade it to the latest firmware release. The problem is that we do not know the OA password. We have tried to reset it by connecting a serial terminal and holding in the reset button for 5 seconds, this should bring us to a menu. It does not. The terminal settings are correct, it displays the login prompt correctly. We have also tried holding both the UID and reset in for 5 seconds but this to doesn't give us the required results.

Any help or ideas are appreciated.

Regards,

Paul.

7 REPLIES 7
Ken Henault
Honored Contributor

There's another way to regain control if you don't have a PIN set on the insight display.  Create a file called PASSWD.CFG, and put it on  a USB thumb drive.  It only needs 2 lines:

set script mode on

SET USER PASSWORD Administrator password

(You can change "password" to whatever you like)  Insert the thumb drive into the USB port on the active Onboard Administrator

On the Insight Display  Select the following

USB Menu

Restore Configuration

PASSWD.CFG

That should do it.

Ken Henault
Infrastructure Architect
HP
padam_singh
Visitor

@Ken Henault wrote:

There's another way to regain control if you don't have a PIN set on the insight display.  Create a file called PASSWD.CFG, and put it on  a USB thumb drive.  It only needs 2 lines:

set script mode on

SET USER PASSWORD Administrator password

(You can change "password" to whatever you like)  Insert the thumb drive into the USB port on the active Onboard Administrator

On the Insight Display  Select the following

USB Menu

Restore Configuration

PASSWD.CFG

That should do it.

What 'll happen to the interconnected blades into the chassis. Will they loose n/w connectivity or not. Do we need to shutdown them first or not.

Psychonaut
Respected Contributor

No, you could pull the OA's and the servers themselves would stay running.  You just would be able to iLO in or monitor the servers while the OA is unavailable.

padam_singh
Visitor

Thanks for your post. I still have some queries and want to clear any applicable  risk and doubts which may lead to production servers connectivity failure.  Let me give you the environment scenario so that we are on same page before proceed further.  I am having 02 no's c7000 chassis with approx 14 blades on each chassis.  The blades are combination of small\full height with blade models G7 & G6. The problem is with One Chassis only. Problematic chassis had 02 administrator ID's as "Admin & Administrator". We don't have Administrator user ID password and Admin ID permissions has been changed as user. The chassis has active and passive OA card installed.    

Query : I want to regain the administrator access either for Admin or Administrator ID. 

Problem : There are production servers running which can't be brought down or loose network connectivity.

Information require: Steps to reset the OA Administrator credentials without impacting the Blade servers.

Assuming that I was able to explain my query here. :)

Psychonaut
Respected Contributor

What are your firmware levels?

You can also do it this way (this I've done):
To recover the password and reset the administrator password to the factory default:
Connect a computer to the serial port of the Active Onboard Administrator using a null-modem cable.
Open HyperTerminal (in Microsoft Windows) or a suitable terminal window (in Linux) and connect to the Active Onboard Administrator .
Press and hold in the HP BladeSystem Onboard Administrator reset button for 5 seconds.
Select LP from the serial console prompt.
Press L to boot the system into Lost Password mode. The password appears on the screen as it reboots.

I have done OA firmware updates (the OA restarts as part of the process) with having it affect the network on the running servers in the domain.
padam_singh
Visitor

Thanks for the updates. The OA has 3.5 firmware version. Can you suggest a workaround which can with OA reset without impacting   Blade servers network and chassis power.

Psychonaut
Respected Contributor

That's what I've been saying, you can perform this procedure without affecting the running servers.