New Discussion юеВ

On board admin firmware upgrade

SOLVED
Go to solution
owahid
Frequent Advisor

On board admin firmware upgrade

hello

I have hp c7000 blade enclosure G3 , with OA firmeware 1.7 ,it has two ethernet SW (old)

and two SAN SWs(new not installed yet , support speed16 G)

We have new blade servers in our stock we want to run it on this enclosure

and two SAN SWs(new not installed yet , support speed16 G)

but a label on the new servers blades say it is recommended to have onboard administrator firmeware upgrade to 4.7

I planned for this upgarde by:

moving all old blades on this enclosure to another one . so it is not production now

I searched for the source for OA firmeware version I found and download 4.2 , 4.5 , 4.9  OA.bin file

My question : Can I upgrade OA firmware from 1.7 to 4.9 using the 4.9.bin file ? how to do it practically?

If I have to upgrade to older version first which version upgrade path ?

How to get bin file for older version?

Do I have to use HP SUM?  can I use it offline if I already download the OA.bin file for firmeware upgrade? 

can I use it offline with the SPP I already downloaded   ?

DO spp file upgrade the firmware for the san switch and ethernet switch encloded in the enclosure?

should the servers be installed inside the enclosure while doing the OA firmware upgrade? or after that?

Which one should be upgraded first ? blade servers firmare or Onboad admin firmware?

waiting for your feedback           

4 REPLIES 4
owahid
Frequent Advisor

Re: On board admin firmware upgrade

Can any one help?

AmRa
HPE Pro
Solution

When attempting to upgrade Onboard Administrator firmware from version 1.x to version 2.25 (or later,) do not upgrade the firmware directly. Instead, upgrade the firmware in a two-step process as follows.

First, upgrade from version 1.x to either version 2.04, 2.13, 2.15, or 2.21. Then, upgrade again to version 2.25 (or later).

For more information please refer below customer advisory

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=c01597033&docLocale=en_US

Just remember there are other components in the enclosure (VC, ilo, Blade Bios,...) that need to be aligned with the OA version.

Please refer HPE ProLiant Server Blades - Compatibility with HPE BladeSystem c7000 and c3000 Enclosures and Firmware

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=sf000050596en_us&docLocale=en_US

Onboard Administrator Firmware Upgrade Process:

Place the firmware image file onto a system on the same network as the HP BladeSystem c-Class Onboard Administrator.

Log in to the Onboard AdministratorтАЩs web-based user interface as an administrator. Firmware Update is available under the Active Onboard Administrator category. You may select the firmware image by entering a path to the file in the "Local File" field or by clicking on the "Browse" button to locate the firmware image on the local machine, a mapped drive, or a network share.

Click "Upload" to begin the firmware update process.

Upgrade enclosure component firmware in below sequence.:

First upgrade Onboard Administrator

Then Virtual connect firmware

Later blade Server firmware

I am an HPE Employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo
owahid
Frequent Advisor

Many thanks for your help and support .
I have few questions,
If I upgrade the oa to
2.5 then I can upgrade to 4.7(as required by blade servers) one path or more?

Actually this c7000 have a normal San switch and normal Ethernet switch but their is no virtual connect ,then. The process is the same or something will be changed?

After upgrading the oa to the required version is it recommended to use HP sum ? Is it need a license or it is a free ?

I have SPP iso downloaded and contain many drivers and firmwares and also contain the sum software , can I use it without internet ?

Thanks alot

AmRa
HPE Pro

Please find the inline answer of your question.

2.5 then I can upgrade to 4.7(as required by blade servers) one path or more?

>>Yes, you can update but recommended to update in multiple hops.(ex. 2.5 > 3.X >4.x)

Actually this c7000 have a normal San switch and normal Ethernet switch but there is no virtual connect ,then. The process is the same or something will be changed?

>>Update OA firmware first and later update Server firmware.
San switch and normal Ethernet switch firmware upgrade you can plan later based on the requirement.

After upgrading the oa to the required version is it recommended to use HP sum ? Is it need a license or it is a free ?

>>HPE SUM is part of SPP and it does not required any license.

I have SPP iso downloaded and contain many drivers and firmwareтАЩs and also contain the sum software , can I use it without internet ?

>>Yes, you can use SPP without internet as SPP repository contain all driver, firmware and HPE softwareтАЩs.

I am an HPE Employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo