4257 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion

Port mapping of HP Integrity BL870c i2 Server Blade

chuckk281
Trusted Contributor

Port mapping of HP Integrity BL870c i2 Server Blade

Binu was looking for help on the port mappings of an Integrity server:

Can anyone help me in understanding the port mapping of HP Integrity  BL870c i2  Server Blade

The server has Network Controller:  Four (4) Embedded Standard Gigabit NICs 

Mezzanine Support: Three (3) additional I/O expansion slots via mezzanine cards.

Hoa had some data:

OA 3.30 User Guide "http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00705292/c00705292.pdf"

Page 220 on explains Half/Full/Single/Double width Port Mappings best.

Any other info for Binu to help him out with these port mappings?

2 REPLIES 2
The Brit
Honored Contributor

Re: Port mapping of HP Integrity BL870c i2 Server Blade

Remember, the Downlink Ports are what you are talking about here, and the are hard-wired between the Device Bays (blades), and the Interconnect Modules).     (Uplink Ports are on the Interconnect Modules and point towards the outside world)

The mapping of the downlink ports on a full height blade are pretty standard and are given in the link above, basically;

Onboard NICs

1 & 3     to IC Bay 1

2 & 4     to IC Bay 2

As a simple reminder, notice that the odd-numbered ports map to odd numbered IC Bay, similarly, even-numbered ports map to even numbered IC Bay.     This is true for onboard ports and Mezzanine ports, so all you have to remember is which IC Bays the Mezz bays correspond to.

Mezz 1   maps to IC Bays 3 & 4

Mezz 2  ports (in the sequence 1, 2, 3 & 4) map to IC Bays 5, 6, 7 & 8.  

Mezz 3 ports (in the sequence  3, 4, 1 & 2) also map to IC Bays 5, 6, 7 & 8.

The only complicating factor in your case is that the bl870c (I2) is a double width blade, i.e. takes 2 Device Bays.     From the point of view of connectivity, think of them as 2 separate blades, and the same rules apply.

Hope this helps.

Dave.

The Brit
Honored Contributor

Re: Port mapping of HP Integrity BL870c i2 Server Blade

I should add, the bl870c I2, because it is a double width blade with all of the interfaces of 2 regular full height blades, actually has

8x10GB FlexNICs - 4 on each (singlewidth) blade, (offering a maximum of 32 virtual NICs),

and

6 x Mezzanine slots

Of course there are restrictions on how the Mezzanine slots can be populated since they use the same IC modules, however the rules are pretty much the same as when two bl860c I2's are installed side by side.

Dave.