4255 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Problem updating BL460c Gen 8 from ESXi 5.5 to ESXi 6.0

nimbus
Occasional Advisor

Problem updating BL460c Gen 8 from ESXi 5.5 to ESXi 6.0

Hi there,

I'm having a problem upgrading some HP blades in my environment from ESXi 5.5 to ESXi 6.0. The servers in question are BL460c Gen 8's. The installed cards are: HP FlexFabric 10Gb 2-port 554FLB Adapter, and 2 x HP LPe1205A 8Gb FC HBA for BladeSystem c-Class. They have the 2017-04 SPP applied to them. 

We are using Virtual Connect to provide networking with a pair of HP VC Flex-10 Enet Modules and a pair of HP VC 8Gb 20-Port FC Modules.

I'm using Update Manager to perform the host upgrade against the HPE ESXi 6.0 customised image. At no point does Update Manager warn there is going to be an issue with missing drivers.

The upgrade seems to work fine. However, when the host reboots into ESXi 6.0, after a few minutes I get a text screen with the following error "There was a problem with the network device specified on the command line. Error: No NIC found with MAC Address....xx:xx:xx:xx"

From the research I've found its suggesting that the network driver isn't being loaded, hence why it can't find the NIC. However, I've done host upgrades on other blades without any issue. The only difference is that instead of Virtual Connect, those enclosures are fitted with Cisco B22 networking. The blades themselves have the same 554FLB network card along with a 554M Mezzanine card. But I really don't see how Virtual Connect could cause this issue.

Would appreciate some help and advice as I'm out of ideas.

Many Thanks.

4 REPLIES 4
AleksandraIsa
HPE Pro

Hi @nimbus

Are you making an update to 6.0 without updates or to 6.0 U3? 

I see on the vmware page only the image with U3 https://my.vmware.com/web/vmware/details?downloadGroup=OEM-ESXI60U3-HPE&productId=491 

The VC FW should be checked as well. 

If it's urgent, it would be best to open a case for the question. 

I am an HPE Employee.

Accept or Kudo

VinnyWills
HPE Pro

Hi Nimbus,

In VC environment there is an option for VC to assign MAC addresses and it is VC thorugh which you NIC traffic passes to your external network and it is best to use VSU to upgrade VC firmware and also after updating NIC firmware and driver you need to reboot the blades for the firmware to take effect not if you have rebooted the blades after performing updates.

As a temporary workaround try to turn off the blades un-assign server profile and reassign server profile and power up the blade and try again ..

If you still have issues then i would advise you to open a Support ticket with the support team to further investigate..

I am an HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo

nimbus
Occasional Advisor

Sorry for the delay in responding to this.

The VC FW is running at 4.50, which is the latest avaiable since 4.60 got retracted by HPE.

AleksandraIsa
HPE Pro

Actually VC FW 4.62 is already released and the advisory for the VCs is updated

https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-a00029108en_us

I am an HPE Employee.

Accept or Kudo