4277 Online
108722 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Proliant BL460C G8 SSD Hard Disk Degraded

comgui
Visitor

Proliant BL460C G8 SSD Hard Disk Degraded

Hi

on my Proliant BL460C G8 (Vmware 5.5)  i have 2 SSD and one is failed visually (but not in OA or vcenter ...) and i see the "Do no remove light" is white ...  while it's a RAID10 and marked as degraded

What does it mean ?

Model of SSD in attachement

9 REPLIES 9
parnassus
Honored Contributor

Sorry, did you mean really a RAID10 (1+0: stripe of mirrors...starting from a minimum of 4 disks, 2 couples) or just a simpler RAID1 (a mirror: minimum 2 disks)?

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner
comgui
Visitor

it's a RAID1 sorry since we only have 2 Disk

Hafedh
Advisor

Hi,

I have something similar with my server,

i think it means that the disk will be dead shortly, don't remove this disk until it's completly non fonctionnal.

Guiga

parnassus
Honored Contributor

On a VMware vSphere 5.5 based host you can use, if already installed, the hpssacli CLI utility to check the status of your disks array(s).

Note that the hpssacli VIB - exactly the hpssacli-2.60.18.0-5.5.0.1391871, which is the HPE Smart Storage Administrator CLI for ESXi - should be found on the latest HP ESXi Utilities Offline Bundle for VMware vSphere 2.6 (see here).

Otherwise you should go Offline (booting from an USB stick or DVD) to check what's happening of your Array through offline tools (see here for VMware vSphere based host) like:

I'm not an HPE Employee
comgui
Visitor

hi

thanks for your update .. that's waht i think since there is no alert on vmware or Onboard administrator so only "the proliant titself is aware of the error" ... maybe :)

the hpssacli  but it need a reboot of the esx and for me the change of a hard drive do not have to include a restart, it can be done without interruption, but i thnik i will not have choice to be sure :)

parnassus
Honored Contributor

Not knowing if the RAID1 array is already in a degraded state (so one SSD is good, the other one is really gone bad yet) a thing is pretty sure...the RAID1 array will be able to survive to removal of just one (bad) disk of two, leaving your system running from the good remainig one...this means that you should be then able to hot-remove the faulty (or pre-faulty) disk in predictive failure state (without shutting down the entire server) to replace it with one identical brand new. Array rebuilt should start automatically once the brand new identical SSD is hot-plugged in.

The hpssacli will permit to manage all the procedure via CLI from the running VMware host's CLI.

See, as example, here (focus is on the hpssacli commands, not on the fact that the underlying OS is Linux - instead of VMware ESXi - in that particular thread). Other useful commands can be found here.

I'm not an HPE Employee
comgui
Visitor

Yes i know that RAID1 allow to remove safely one drive, i do it quite offen but in this case there is the "do not remove" signal on the disk .. that's the problem :)

parnassus
Honored Contributor

Wait, the DNR (Do Not Remove) indicator is solid White on the good disk (the upper one) which is the only one that has the Hard Drive Status indicator Green; the Hard Drive Status indicator looks (solid or blinking?) Amber for Predictive Failure on the lower one...isn't it? if so replacing the lower one should not break the logical volume because the upper disk is the one supposed to maintain the volume integrity.

By the way, what hpssacli tool reports?

I'm not an HPE Employee
comgui
Visitor

oh yes  of course you are right it's the lower one , what a confusion but on HP hard disk thre is a green or red LED for the status also and not here so ... i get confuse

for hpasscli i have to schedule it since it need a ESX  restart