1752795 Members
6477 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Proliant bl460c g6 memory configuration

Pazzoide1976
Frequent Advisor

Proliant bl460c g6 memory configuration

I have a question regarding the memory configuration of a server ProLiant BL460c G6.
Currently, the server mounts 24GB with 6 banks of 4 gb (pn 500658-b21).
The customer wants to bring the server to 48GB and he bought 3 banks of 8 gb (pn 500662-b21).
I wanted to know if the attached configuration is correct.

thanks

greetings

1 REPLY 1
Xqzit
Advisor

Re: Proliant bl460c g6 memory configuration

Hello Pazzoide1976,

I will suggest the memory configuration based on the following rules (you can find more of these rules in the link below):

Note: *DIMM slots that are white should be populated first.

*To maximize performance, balance the total memory capacity between all installed processors

*It is not required, but it is recommended to load the channels similarly if possible

*Populate DIMMs from heaviest load (quad-rank) to lightest load (single-rank) within a channel

*Heaviest load (DIMM with most ranks) within a channel goes furthest from the processor

Click here for more info about the memory config!!

According to the above link, the best possible config is to install the 8GB modules in one of the CPU Channels (in the attached diagram I have installed the 8GB modules in the slots ordained to CPU1 but you can reverse it). Install the 3 8GB modules in the slots with white tabs and leave the others empty. In the next CPU channel (other 6 slots), install all the 6 4GB modules, this way we are balancing the total memory capacity between the processors. 

Check the attachment for memory population diagram.

If you need any more info regarding the memory config do let me know. Good luck with the upgrade. Cheers!! :)