108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Server's Fibre connection dropped all of a sudden

SOLVED
Go to solution
JDMils
Occasional Contributor

Server's Fibre connection dropped all of a sudden

I have a number of servers which have all of a sudden lost their connections to one of the fibre switches. I've asked the onsite support team to check the cabling and from what they are saying is that there is no laser light coming from the servers' fibre cables. They checked the ports at the C7000 chassis end and are saying there are no laser lights coming out from the chassis. The fibre switch ports are deemed to be OK.

When checking the servers, there are 2x HBA adapters in Device Manager, enabled, but in PowerPath it is showing only one adapter and on the fibre switches, only one fibre switch has a valid connection.

I've even asked the onsite support team to move the server connection to another port on the fibre switch with no change. There are 6x servers which have lost their connection to the fibre switch while about 20 other servers are still connected to that fibre switch without problems.

The onsite support team have tried new cables with no luck.

EMC have checked the fibre switch and said it looks OK. The ports are showing "No_Light" and are numbered:

12, 18, 21, 25, 26, 27

This happened to at least 2 serves at exactly the same time and I'm thinking that the other affected servers lost their connections at the same time as well.

Can anyone suggest the source of this problem?

Details:

Servers: Mix of BL460c G7 & BL465c G7 & BL685c G1 (All servers in the one chassis- only one chassis available)

Fibre Switches: EMC Brocade DS6510B 48 port

5 REPLIES 5
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

What interconnects are used in the C7000?

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
JDMils
Occasional Contributor

Hi Torsten, the interconnects are "HP 4Gb Fibre Channel Pass-thru Module for c-Class BladeSystem"

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

Please check if all connections in questions come from the same pass-tru module.

Check the module, check the event logs of the OA.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
JDMils
Occasional Contributor

I mapped out all my server connections and it seems all the servers on the one chassis have lost one of their two connections to the fibre switch and it seems that this ocurred on all the affected servers at the same time so my guess, with your help, is that the Psas-through module has gone faulty.

I thus logged into the iLO of the chassis and there are no errors presented for this module. I tried powering the module off then on again, reset the module, and still no luck so I am assuming the module has died in such a way that it is not noticeable from a management point of view.

I'll replace the module and see what happens.

JDMils
Occasional Contributor

We replaced the pass-through module and the servers' fibre connections came back online! All good so thank you for your help.