1745877 Members
4194 Online
108723 Solutions
New Discussion

Solaris 10 on G7 blade server network notes

chuckk281
Trusted Contributor

Solaris 10 on G7 blade server network notes

Mark wrote up a nice paper on what he had to do to get Solaris 10 Update 9 network controller working and connected.

Here is the process he used:

Installing Solaris 10 update 9 on HP BladeSystem G7 Blades

(Tips on getting your network to function)

This document presupposes that you are doing a fresh install of Solaris on a G7 blade. You can adapt these procedures to also work for a DL series server.

As you may be aware the  Solaris version of the  Emulex drivers provided with the Solaris installation media do not work correctly with the converged  network adapter in the HP G7 blades. So to fix this inconvenience you will need to follow some form of the procedure outlined below.

Download the current Network Driver package from the hp.com website. The downloaded file will be a gzipped tar file SUNWemlxs-<version>-Solaris10-i386.tar.gz. Then do a fresh install of Solaris on the desired blade. You may optionally supply network information during the install or wait until you have updated the drivers before configuring the network.

If prior to doing the installation you bothered to unzip and un-tar the files in the driver package you downloaded from the HP web site. You will eventually find a SUNWemlxs.iso file.  The  ISO file  is the traditional method of updating the drivers during an installation of Solaris. Unfortunately the drivers still won't work when installed this way, so don't bother to waste your time.

If you do choose to use the  SUNWemlxs.iso CD to update the system it will provide you with the ability to enter the network information as part of the installation. To apply the driver disk during installation, choose option 5 from the initial menu and follow the instructions the on screen instructions.  While you can enter the network information as part of the installation by using this method the network will remain non-functional until the drivers are manually installed per the following steps.

Simply boot the Solaris install CD and follow the prompts to do a default install. Once your install completes reboot the system and log in. Create an empty directory on the Solaris system and copy the SUNWemlxs-<version>-Solaris10-i386.tar.gz bundle into it via remote media, CDROM or USB-Key. Perform a gunzip on the driver bundle and then un-tar it. "cd" into the resulting directory. This directory will contain a subdirectory called emlxs. The emlxs directory will contain SUNWemlxs.iso, SUNWemlxu.pkg (the FCOE drivers), SUNWemlxs.pkg (the network drivers), a tar file that contains the one connect utility and a readme file. (WARNING some of the instructions in the readme file are incorrect since they were not intended for use against a new installation. Just ignore the readme file for now.)

If when you installed Solaris you configured the network (which now does not work) you will need to down  interface(s) which you configured prior to replacing the drivers. You can do this with the following command...

ifconfig oce0 down           (The emulex ethernet interfaces are named oce# where oce is the standard name for an emulex interface  and # in the number of the interface.

Remove the Emulex drivers with the commands

pkgrm SUNWemlxs     (this is the network driver)

pkgrm SUNWemlxu      (this the FCOE driver)

Next “cd” to the directory where you unpacked the driver bundle and install the new drivers with the commands...

pkgadd -d SUNWemlxs.pkg

pkgadd -d SSUNWemlxu.pkg

Reboot the server to load the drivers (or manually load the drivers).

If you entered network information as part of the installation then when the system completes it's reboot you should have a working network.

If you did not configure the network as part of the installation once the system is back up you can configure your network interfaces. You have the choice of editing the appropriate files manually or the easier method is to run the command sys-unconfig. The sys-unconfig command erases all of the network information including hostname, routes etc. Then it reboots the system and steps you through the script that the install program uses to configure the network information. Simply follow the prompts to supply  appropriate network information.

At this point you should a functioning network and the process is complete.

Any questions or comments for Mark?

1 REPLY 1
ZGennady
Occasional Visitor

Re: Solaris 10 on G7 blade server network notes

I have BL460cG7 with NC553i.

Installed Solaris 10 (9/10) and Recommended PatchCluster Aug2011.

Network statistics does not work. Becouse of that Veritas Cluser NIC agent can`t moinitor NIC.

root@server # dladm show-link -s

ipackets   rbytes       ierrors  opackets   obytes       oerrors 

oce0            0          0            0        0          0            0      

root@server #

root@server # netstat -i         

Name  Mtu  Net/Dest      Address        Ipkts  Ierrs Opkts  Oerrs Collis Queue

lo0   8232 loopback      localhost      940164 0     940164 0     0      0    

oce0  1500 server        server         0      0     0      0     0      0    

root@ora01 # netstat -i -I oce0 1

input   oce0      output       input  (Total)    output

packets errs  packets errs  colls  packets errs  packets errs  colls

0       0     0       0     0      940195  0     940195  0     0    

0       0     0       0     0      11      0     11      0     0    

0       0     0       0     0      0       0     0       0     0    

0       0     0       0     0      2       0     2       0     0    

0       0     0       0     0      0       0     0       0     0    

^C

root@server #  

I tried NIC driver from Solaris Distributive (with patches 145954-06 145099-04 145097-03 ) and driver SUNWemlxs-2.55s-solaris10-i386 from  HP.COM site.

How I can fix it ?

WBR