1748265 Members
4103 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Upgrading storage controllers on BL460c Gen 7 without losing data

mwgrice
Occasional Contributor

Upgrading storage controllers on BL460c Gen 7 without losing data

The situation is that I've been asked to rectify a situation where the customer apparently did not get the desired storage controller on a number of blades. They now have new P712M controllers which need to replace what I believe (but have not been able to confirm) are P410i controllers.

Unfortunately the blades are running Windows 2003 and have been in production for a couple ofmonths now.

So what will I need to do in order to replace the controllers without destroying the data? Will the new controller get the config from the disks without any further configuration, or will I need to tell the controllers to pull the config from the disks?

Also, any idea on whether or not Windows will have the drivers to boot from the new controllers?

3 REPLIES 3
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

bl460c g7 quickspecs: http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/13706_na/13706_na.HTML

You cannot replace the p410i, it's integrated (hence the 'i').

You want to install the p712m in one of the extra slots (m for mezzanine).

Make sure you also read the quickspecs for the p712m: http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/13296_na/13296_na.html

Are you getting SAS switches too? Make sure you are installing them in the correct interconnect bays.

Do the customer have a shared storage?

mwgrice
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Johan. I didn't realize that; I'm only mildly familiar with HP blades and blade chassis.

I assume they have SAS modules, but I don't have direct access to the equipment so it's difficult to find out.

Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

If they ordered it through you, perhaps there is a record of what they ordered - you could find some treasure in there :)