5824 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

X9720 uplink to two networks

chuckk281
Trusted Contributor

X9720 uplink to two networks

Efren had a customer question:

I have a customer that wants to uplink a new X9720 system to two different networks on their network. To do this I expect to configure the following three networks on the two VC modules:

1.      Customer Data (X9720 user NFS data) Network

2.      Customer Management Control Network (to access the X9720 Fusion Manager)

3.      X9720 Cluster and Management (iLO, OA) network (internal, 172.16.0.0, not uplinked)

We will connect ports X1 – X6 on both VC modules using 10GB SR SFPs to the customer’s switches.

Question is: The customer wants to create two 6x10GB uplink trunks (LACP), one for each VC module. I was expecting that we would need two 1x10GB uplinks for the Customer Management Control Network (say on X1) and then two 5x10GB LACP trunks (X2-X6) for the Customer Data Network. The customer can do either, they just want to know which is correct and/or recommended by us.

Vincent replied:

An LACP trunk can only go from one VC module to one external switch. If the data network and the mgmt network are on 2 different core switches, you have to make 2 separate LACP trunks. If they are on the same core switch with VLANs, you can either do physical separation by making 2 different networks in VC with their own uplinks, or put the 2 networks into a single Shared Uplink Set with all the uplinks and do VLAN tagging. I don’t think we would systematically recommend one over the other, it depends on the customer. For a management network, 10Gb is probably overkill, so bandwidth might be better utilized with the SUS, but if they truly utilize the 60Gb the management traffic could get “drowned” in absence of QoS.

Other suggestions or comments? Which way would you recommend?