1752749 Members
5263 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: 2 enclosure VC domain Stacking Links

r_a
Occasional Advisor

Hi, Both of these part numbers appear in both the FlexFabric and the Flex10 Quickspecs. HP BladeSystem c-Class Small Form-Factor Pluggable .5m 10GbE Copper Cable 487649-B21 HP X240 10G SFP+ SFP+ 0.65m DA Cable JD095B Also I've finally managed to speak with someone at HP - he thinks that it's not possible to stack vertically between FC to F10 in the same enclosure!! He thinks that the configuration is correct, and that the whole thing needs to be resynchronised by reseating the OA modules, and then all the VC modules. I did try to argue against this, but I guess boxes need to be ticked before proceeding further..... Regards,
chaney56
Advisor

I am having a problem with a similar config. I have two c-7000 enclosures. Each enclosure has VC Flex-10 ethernet modules in bays 1,2,5, and 6. I am using the cx-4 connectors for stacking. 

I have created a VC domain with the first enclosure. When I try to "find" the second enclosure I get an error telling me to verify the OA ip address and credentials for the second enclosure. The ip and credentials are correct. The second enclosure has never been part of a VC domain.

I also have an indication within Virtual connect that my stacking links are not redundant.

I could not find any documentation for stacking two enclosures with 4 Flex-10 modules each, but this is how they are currently connected:

Enc1 bay1-internal-bay2

Bay2-cx-4 cable-bay6

Bay6-internal-bay5

Bay5-cx-4 cable-Enc2 bay1

Enc2 bay1-internal-bay2

Bay2-cx-4 cable-bay6

Bay6-internal-bay5

Bay5-cx-4 cable-Enc1 bay1

Basically I have created a large loop using the internal and external connections. Is this configration correct, and could htis be what is preventing "finding" the second enclosure?

Thanks

Mike

Hongjun Ma
Trusted Contributor

Hi r_a,

You mentioned "FC to F10" stacking. Not sure if it's typo. You can't stacking any VC-FC(Fibre Channel) module. In your case, you need to stack FF(FlexFabric) to F10. This is supported for sure. please check the link for setup and installation guide I sent out. Page 19 for single enclosure stacking multiple VC modules. there is a diagram showing to connect FF with F10

My VC blog: http://hongjunma.wordpress.com

Hongjun Ma
Trusted Contributor

Hi Mike,

i think they are two seperate issues

1) can't import 2nd enclosure.

all import process is done through internal mgmt ethernet to OA and then from OA mgmt port to 2nd enclsoure OA mgmt port. It doesn't use any VC faceplate ports. you may want to open a HP support case to get help. it should work.

2) stacking link cabling.

Your cabling is not 100%, the right cabling is shown in VC setup and install guide, page 23 left diagram. please check the link I sent out in earlier post

r_a
Occasional Advisor

Hi Hongjun Ma,

Yes sorry, it was a typo.  It should have said FF to F10.  HP Support have also done a U-Turn and said that stacking links are needed in the same enclosure.

Thanks for your help.  I'll report back once these are in place, but they are taking 2 weeks for delivery...

Regards.

chaney56
Advisor

Thanks Hongjun Ma.

I will take a look at the doc.

Mike

chaney56
Advisor

Hongjun Ma,

That diagram shows multiple connections from the primary enclosure Enet bays 1 and 2. I am only using the X1 cx-4 connections on each Flex-10 module for external cabling stacking. Do I also need to use one of the other ports for stacking(x2, x3,x4 etc)?

Mike

Hongjun Ma
Trusted Contributor

yes, Flex-10 has 8 port from X1-X8.  they are pretty much same in regard to speed and feature support. all of ports can do vertical stacking or uplinks.

two things to note:

1) X1 is shared between CX4 and 1st SFP+ port so you can't use them at the same time. In your case, just leave SFP+ port marked X1 empty because you already use CX4 interface.

2) Don't try to use X7 and X8 at the same time for vertical stacking. You need to leave at least one out of these two ports unused so the internal horizontal stacking can use that port. otherwise VCM will complain stacking error.

chaney56
Advisor

Hongjun Ma,

Using the x2 ports for the additional connections, and the stacking links are now good. Talked to HP about the error trying to "find" the second enclosure. They could not figure out why I am getting the error, want me to delete the VC domain and start over. I will try that next week.

Thanks for your help.

Mike