BladeSystem - General
1753716 Members
4816 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion

Are there any issues with changing the IP addresses of the enclosure and VC modules on an active system?

chuckk281
Trusted Contributor

Are there any issues with changing the IP addresses of the enclosure and VC modules on an active system?

Brian was looking for help on a customer question:

I’ve never done it and I suspect it’s not a problem but I figured someone out there has had to deal with it in the past…

********************************************************************************************

Chris provided some insights:

No, you should see no issues with a healthy blade environment.  I’ve recently went through this with a customer on a production system. 

Here is what I told them

What you would normally do to change the OA/iLO/VC networks is to do this:

1)      Go into the OA network properties and change the IP address to the new network

2)      Log back inot the OA with the new address

3)      Go to EBIPA and change the assigned ip addresses to the iLO’s and apply

4)      Change the VC ip addresses to the new network and apply

Then you may need to reset the VCM if the new IP address for VC did not get populated in the OA tree shortcut.

*************************************************************************************************

Any input or additional advice?

4 REPLIES 4
d_flex
Occasional Visitor

Re: Are there any issues with changing the IP addresses of the enclosure and VC modules on an active

Thank you for the answer. And what about a stacked C7000 environment? In order to change to a different network do we need to take out of the VC domain each enclosure first? 

chuckk281
Trusted Contributor

Re: Are there any issues with changing the IP addresses of the enclosure and VC modules on an active

One of our engineers is setting this up in the lab and testing stacked c7000 enclosures. Will get you the results shortly.

Chris dunk

There are no issues with changing the IP address of the enclosure components in a VC stack.  You do not have to eject any of the stacked enclosures to modify the IP addresses. 

First you would go through the process of changing the ip addresses of the OA, iLO's and VC modules.

Then this is completed log into virtual connect manager of the master enclosure.  You will get a message that says "Lost Credentials"  Click close.  Click on the second enclosure from the VC Tree on the left.  This will give you a credentials warning.  Type in the new OA IP address and credentials then you will have made the change.

No I/O will be lost with the existing Networks or FC.

prasannag6
Regular Visitor

Dear Chris/Chuck,

Is it possible to confirm if the process mentioned by Chuck will not cause any issues while changing OA and VC IPs?

One of my customer some time back has changed the OA IP and VCM couldnt communicate after the change and they had to reset to factory default, so just wanted to double check

1)      Go into the OA network properties and change the IP address to the new network

2)      Log back inot the OA with the new address

3)      Go to EBIPA and change the assigned ip addresses to the iLO’s and apply

4)      Change the VC ip addresses to the new network and apply