6238 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Backing up Multiple Virtual Connect Configurations

chuckk281
Trusted Contributor

Backing up Multiple Virtual Connect Configurations

Question from Reginald's customer:

Customer was wondering what is HP’s best practice recommendation or method of backing up multiple VC configurations across large population of multiple enclosures/domains? We talked to them about using the CLI interface/scripts and were not too thrilled on having to write their own procedures. The customer indicated that they’ve automated this process for their Cisco switches using tools like SolarWinds. Can we use a tool like SolarWinds to backup our enclosure/domain configurations and if not what is the recommended process?

Input from Steve:

Reggie,  A process I have used with my customers is to use VCSU to back up the domain config.  It will create a backup file for each domain.  The backup file name also contains the date, so multiple backups can be stored in the same directory.

Example;

vcsu -a configbackup -i 192.168.0.100 -u Administrator -p password –vcu Administrator -vcp password

Create a batch file with one line per VC domain.

vcsu -a configbackup -i 192.168.0.100 -u Administrator -p password –vcu Administrator -vcp password

vcsu -a configbackup -i 192.168.0.101 -u Administrator -p password –vcu Administrator -vcp password

vcsu -a configbackup -i 192.168.0.102 -u Administrator -p password –vcu Administrator -vcp password

vcsu -a configbackup -i 192.168.0.103 -u Administrator -p password –vcu Administrator -vcp password

Then see if Solar Winds can schedule and launch the batch file.

Also, if they have SIM, it could likely launch the back up.

Other comments or suggestions?