1753490 Members
4873 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Bent processor pins and suggestions

chuckk281
Trusted Contributor

I was putting some new processors in a new "Beta" version of a blade here and then powered it up to see if everythign was working. Well, not all was well and after trying some things, I found out that the processor socket magically had some bent pins. I carefully unbent the pins and after re-assembling it, everything worked fine. Now, I can't say that I had the most unique and technically savvy way of unbending those pins. Does a sharp point on a pencil sound technical? Anyway, I was wondering if this group has something that I should have in my toolbox and is more technically sound. Help a poor software guy, please!!
4 REPLIES 4
John Cagle
Frequent Advisor

Whatever works! I have found it's best to use a microscope on a workbench and one of those dentist's probe tools. (from one software guy to another)
chuckk281
Trusted Contributor

You are way too good man!! I should have you work on my knee.
vcblades
Frequent Advisor

Only BTO has this problem - Buy via CTO and you should not have this issue ( Though CTO is bit expensive than BTO but is worth the price ) - Consider this CTO option if you are buying lot of equipment - Replace the motherboard instead of using tools fixing it. Hope this helps.
Robin Geddes

I have found the best tool for straightening bent pins is one of those mechanical 'propeller' pencils (without the lead, obviously). The tube formed by the tip is a good size for sliding over the bent pin and moving it back into shape/position. R.