BladeSystem - General
1752292 Members
5035 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

C7000 and Network Virtual connects

James Napier

Could someone please help me with understanding this technology for my environment. Let me tell you my environment first: C7000 Chassis 2x HP 1gb Ethernet Passthru Module 2 HP 4GB Fiber0Channel Pass thru 12x BL460c G1 2x BL480c G1 What am I wanting to do is give my servers more network connections because I want to go virtual with VMWare. I know I need to purchase another Mezzanine card and Interconnect but i am not sure how the new technology works with the Virtual connects. Just for more information after the blade chassis the newtwork connection goto a Cisco 6509 chassis we do not have 10gb so its a just gb connections. For my servers Mezzanine slot 1 is used for the GLogic 4GB Fiber Channel Cards. For my Chassis the interconnect bays are Network for bay 1 and 2 and Fiber for Bays 3 and 4. I have Bay's 5-8 that are free. I am looking for explanation on how things work and what could be the better setup for my enviroment. SHould I had VC Interconnect into the free bays or replace the Ethernet pass-thru's with the VC interconnects. Also what is the better mezzanine card for what I am trying to accomplish. I hate to sound ignorant but this is all new to me. Please and thanks
3 REPLIES 3
Vince Garcia
Advisor

Hi. VC modules in slots 1 and 2, 5 and 6 would be desirable, but not necessary. If you can afford it, this would stabilize your ethernet environment within the enclosure in preparation for creating virtual switches in ESX server. You will be limited to 4 physical NICs in each server. If not using iSCSI, then add: 406771-B21, HP BLc NC326m NIC Adapter Opt (289.00 list) to mezzanine slot 2 in your servers. Tremendous advantage for virtual environment if you upgrade to 10GbE Flex-10 virtual connect modules when you can.
James Napier

Can I jdd the HP 1/10G VC Ethernet module in Slots 5 and 6 and add the HP NC325m Quad Port in Mezzanine slot 2?
dchmax
Frequent Advisor

You can but 2 of the 4 ports will not be available unless you populate Interconnect 7/8 with VC's or Passthru's. Its best to build out the chasis interconnect up front so there is minimal system impact in the future. Perfect world....Eth VC in Interconnect 1,2,5-8 and Fiber VC in 3/4.