BladeSystem - General
1752800 Members
6058 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Can VC-FC interconnects be used now WITHOUT VC-Enet/VCM since OneView correctly recognizes them

eci
Advisor

Can VC-FC interconnects be used now WITHOUT VC-Enet/VCM since OneView correctly recognizes them

I have a C7000 with the following:

1,2 = 10Gbps pass-thrus

3,4 = 4Gbps FC pass-thrus

5,6 = 8Gbps VC-FCs

We don't want any VC-FC features - we just want pass-through to our Nexus 5548UPs. Using OneView in managed mode, I was able to configure the VC-FC's and my Nexus switches see the Blade PWWNs.  

It *appears* this can work now without VC-Enets at all. Any input?

Is VC-Enet still required now that we have OneView?

13 REPLIES 13
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: Can VC-FC interconnects be used now WITHOUT VC-Enet/VCM since OneView correctly recognizes them

>> Is VC-Enet still required now that we have OneView?

Without the ethernet modules you cannot configure the VC FC modules.

Even Oneview configures the Enet modules, then the Enet modules pass the config to the FC modules.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
eci
Advisor

Thanks for the reply. I am confused, then!

OneView allowed me to create the interconnect group, and map the ports completely to the SAN. The blade HBA ports appear on my Cisco Nexus interfaces, I zoned them, and the MSA2042 SAN sees both initators......I can map storage, the blade can mount it. Is this supposed to be impossible?

eci
Advisor

See attached - 

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Maybe you use

3,4 = 4Gbps FC pass-thrus

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

eci
Advisor

We wanted 8gbps. HP never made a passthru @ that speed. :(

How can it be explained that the server can use the SAN storage through the VC-FC? This is OneView 3.0 - maybe some new features? It found the VC-FC instantly and reported success on configuring it. OneView added the VCM link into the OBA.

eci
Advisor

Also - as far as being able to configure them - 

I made a Server Profile that included the 2 ports and applied it. Immediately, the PWWN's showed up on the Nexus. So it does appear to be doing something...

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Interesting ...

If you review the virtual connect quickspec, you will not find in the supported configurations section any config without an ethernet module.

So obviously it works, but it is unsupported.

Can you open the virtual connect manager?

Just for my curiosity ...

I would not use an unsupported configuration in a production environment.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

eci
Advisor

The Virtual Connect Manager link presented in OBA is a link to OneView. It works.

eci
Advisor

OneView 3.0 cookbook:

" HPE OneView replaces Virtual Connect Manager and Virtual Connect Enterprise Manager when the enclosure is migrated into HPE OneView. Virtual Connect Manager is no longer available and cannot be logged into once the enclosure is managed by HPE OneView"

http://h20195.www2.hpe.com/V2/getpdf.aspx/4AA5-0351ENW.pdf?ver=Rev%206