BladeSystem - General
1753645 Members
5868 Online
108798 Solutions
New Discussion

Can uplinks from different Virtual Connect Flex-10 modules compose trunking by LACP?

chuckk281
Trusted Contributor

Can uplinks from different Virtual Connect Flex-10 modules compose trunking by LACP?

Lee was still have LACP issues and when Virtual Connect does what:

Maybe I am missing something in this discussion, but I still don’t know if the original question was answered regarding combining uplinks from different VC modules into a single LACP trunk.  From the discussion, my understanding is that 2 or more uplinks from a single VC module can be trunked to different HP/Cisco switches that have been combined using the stacking technology in the switches.   I don’t think that uplinks from different VC modules can be trunked together, as far as I know uplinks from different VC modules can only be configured in a failover mode (but I would like to be proved wrong).

Dave tried to boil it all down into 4 scenarios:

Hi Lee,

As described below and further down in the conversation, there are four types of scenarios for port trunking\channeling with traditional Virtual Connect Uplink Ports. If you are adding Cisco's VSS or VCP into the mix, it will have an affect on the view that VC gets from the switches. If they are using VSS / VCP and LACP, then the VC module will see it as one switch. I believe Armand mentioned a white paper that covers the configuration in that scenario. They are not using VSS or VCP, then the rules below would apply, so long as the Cisco switches are configured properly. Hopefully this clears up the comments everyone has made. Bottom-line - in fine Cisco tradition - the answer is "it depends".

Same VC Module, Same External Switch, Same Port Channel Group  

When VC uplinks from the same physical VC-Enet module are assigned to the same vNet (or Shared Uplink Set) and are connected to ports on the same external Cisco switch that are assigned to the same port channel group and have the LACP protocol enabled, then VC will automatically form a single port channel.

Same VC Module, Same External Switch, Different Port Channel Groups  

When VC uplinks from the same physical VC-Enet module are assigned to the same vNet (or Shared Uplink Set) and are connected to ports on the same external Cisco switch that are assigned to different port channel groups and have the LACP protocol enabled, then VC will automatically form more than one port channel.

Same VC Module, Different External Switches  

When VC uplinks from the same physical VC-Enet module are assigned to the same vNet (or Shared Uplink Set) and are connected to ports on different external Cisco switches that are assigned to port channel groups and have the LACP protocol enabled, then VC will automatically form more than one port channel.

Different VC Module, Same or Different External Switches  

When VC uplinks from different physical VC-Enet modules are assigned to the same vNet (or Shared Uplink Set) and are connected to ports on the same (or different) external Cisco switch that are assigned to a port channel group and have the LACP protocol enabled, then VC will automatically form more than one port channel.

**************************************************************************************************

I hope this helps. Any additional clarification needed? Let us know you thoughts and how you implement LACP trunked links.