BladeSystem Virtual Connect
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you change the Virtual Connect Interconnect module IP address without interrupting blade I/O?

Mike O.
Regular Advisor

Can you change the Virtual Connect Interconnect module IP address without interrupting blade I/O?

Several weeks ago we rebuild one of our  C7000 chassis. We were replacing all the virtual connect modules (both Ethernet and fiber), since the ones we had were end of life (the original 1/10 enet and the 4G fiber modules).  Since we were changing everything, we moved the VM's and blades to another chassis and basically just destroyed the old Virtual Connect configuration and built it new.

We use the enclosure bay IP addressing to assign the ILO addresses to the blades and the interconnect modules to keep all the chassis management in a block of addresses. However, on this build the EBIPA accidentally wasn't set for the interconnects, and they got addresses from our DHCP server. They're in the correct subnet, but not in the block we wanted them in.

We didn't discover this until after we started using it for production blades. Everything is working OK, we just have the interconnect bay ILO addresses scattered.

I know I can enable the EBIPA for the interconnect bays and they will pick up the new addresses as part of their automatic address renewal.  However, will making that change on those modules cause any problems with our running blades?   Will it cause any Virtual Connect interruptions or other issues?   Will I have to do anything on the OA or in Virtual Connect manager to re-link them to the OA and each other once the addresses change?

Any information would be appreciated.

Mike O.

P.S. This thread has been moved from HP BladeSystem to HP BladeSystem Virtual Connect. -HP Forum Moderator