HPE Community read-only access December 15, 2018
This is a maintenance upgrade. You will be able to read articles and posts, but not post or reply.
Hours:
Dec 15, 4:00 am to 10:00 am UTC
Dec 14, 10:00 pm CST to Dec 15, 4:00 am CST
Dec 14, 8:00 pm PST to Dec 15, 2:00 am PST
BladeSystem Virtual Connect
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connecting Virtual Connect FC (VMWare) to EMC via McData FC Switch

lhowlett
Occasional Contributor

Connecting Virtual Connect FC (VMWare) to EMC via McData FC Switch

I have a BL7000 thats setup, with the SAN Fabric configured in Virtual Connect. The WWN is VC assigned and the Uplink Port is visible to the SAN switch and registered and logged into the SAN switch.

I have setup a Server Profile thats linked as FCoE and the VMWare servers can see the FC card and assigned WWN.

However the SAN switch cannot see the assigned WWN of the VMWare server and hence cannot be added to any zones.

I'n guessing that the SAN switch should be able to see the WWN of the VMWare server but it doesnt.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this and where I can start looking, i'm new to Virtual Connect and possibly confused, but if I cannot get the switch to see the WWN of the server, how do I register it with the EMC NS120 SAN?

3 REPLIES
hvhari
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Connecting Virtual Connect FC (VMWare) to EMC via McData FC Switch

lhowlett wrote:

>>>>I have a BL7000 thats setup, with the SAN Fabric configured in Virtual Connect. The WWN is VC assigned and the Uplink Port is visible to the SAN switch and registered and logged into the SAN switch.

Does the san switch show the port is online? Is it able to see the host HBA connected?

>>>>> I have setup a Server Profile thats linked as FCoE and the VMWare servers can see the FC card and assigned WWN.

Compare the WWN with the WWN assigned with VC? Are they same ?

Regards,
Hari

If this post was useful , click the Kudos Star on the left side to say Thanks!
Psychonaut
Respected Contributor

Do you have NPIV enabled on the switch?

"Virtual Connect Fibre Channel modules require that the SAN fabric support NPIV functionality. Most 

new SAN switches support this specification, and many older SAN switches can achieve it with a 
firmware update"

lhowlett
Occasional Contributor

I think i've worked it out. NPIV is enabled however the McDATA switches dont see the VMs.

I hooked up a Brocade switch and it can see the VM Server WWN.

I assume the McDATA isnt compatible as its an old switch, so I need to work out how I can get the new Brocades put in.

Thanks for the ideas.