BladeSystem - General
1752286 Members
4648 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Deploying a VMware vSphere HA Cluster with HP Virtual Connect FlexFabric on VMware ESXi5

bolekomp
Visitor

Deploying a VMware vSphere HA Cluster with HP Virtual Connect FlexFabric on VMware ESXi5

My question is why there is now document about Deploying a VMware vSphere HA Cluster with HP Virtual Connect FlexFabric for ESX 5. There is document for ESX 4.0, 4AA1-1907ENW, updated on January 2011 and after then nothing. Will it be or when?

I really need some kind of document for deploying VMware ESXi 5 with HP VC FlexFabric

Thnx in advance

4 REPLIES 4
Hongjun Ma
Trusted Contributor

Re: Deploying a VMware vSphere HA Cluster with HP Virtual Connect FlexFabric on VMware ESXi5

which specific thing are you looking for in VC working with ESX5.0?  Pretty much all of VC networking concepts in 4.0 doc applies to ESX5.0.

My VC blog: http://hongjunma.wordpress.com

bolekomp
Visitor

There is a lot of difference between them! First of all, that's document for ESX 4.0 and now we are talking about ESXi 5.0 (not ESX). There is no ESX anymore, first no service console and lots of other things. Nevermind

In 4.0 we have in this scenario 500Mb for Service Console, 4.5Gb for VM Network and 1Gb for VMotion. Is it acceptable for ESXi 5.0 to use 1Gb for VM management and VMotion, 4Gb for VM Network and 1Gb for DMZ network?

Psychonaut
Respected Contributor

That should work - the management needs are negligible, but you may want to make that first connection 1.5GB - just in case.  Keep in mind if you want to use NFS it will also use that connection.  

I don't see it as a big deal, just keep an eye on it and if you need to change the speeds you can do it on the fly.

Hongjun Ma
Trusted Contributor

In ESXi5.0, you can assign appropriate bandwidth to mgmt network like you did for SC before. For VM data, vmotion and other networks, the bandwidth assigned is determined by your environment. Different customers use different values.

Virtual Connect is not aware of the blade OS as ESX4.0 or ESXi5.0. All it offers to host are 8 NICs with adjusted bandwidth or optionally 6 NICs+2 HBAs when using VC Flexfabric module and G7 servers LOM.

My VC blog: http://hongjunma.wordpress.com