1752471 Members
6962 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Domain Enclosures and Associated Onboard Administrator

GrahamZulauf
Occasional Advisor

Domain Enclosures and Associated Onboard Administrator

Under the Domain Settings within VCM there is a section called Domain Enclosures. There it lists all of the enclosures that have been imported and associated with the VC Domain.

Next to each enclosure there is a field called "OA IP Address." This address seems to be associated with the Onboard Administrator IP address supplied when the enclosure was first imported to the domain.

On enclosures utilizing the "Enclosure IP Mode" there is only ever one single IP address associated with the encolusure, regardless of which OA is "Active." In this case it seems that this single "Enclosure IP Mode" address would be the IP supplied in the VCM "OA IP Address" field.

We are not using the "Enclosure IP Mode." Rather, we are utilizing unique IP addresses for each OA within the enclosure. The Active OA has one IP address, and the standby has a different IP address.

In our case, which address does the VCM use to associate with the enclosure? When a OA failover occurs (firmware update, etc.) should the VCM lose any connectivity or functionality with the enclosure? For instance, will it not be able to retrieve power status on blades?

We have noticed strange and incosistent behavior within the VCM when OA's are restarted with the configuration described above.

Does HP support enclosures not utilizing "Enclosure IP Mode?"

2 REPLIES 2
chuckk281
Trusted Contributor

Re: Domain Enclosures and Associated Onboard Administrator

Virtual Connect uses the OA IP address to communicate to the blades and iLO and all that management stuff. I will see if Monty can provide some info for you.

GrahamZulauf
Occasional Advisor

Re: Domain Enclosures and Associated Onboard Administrator

@chuckk281 wrote:

Virtual Connect uses the OA IP address to communicate to the blades and iLO and all that management stuff. I will see if Monty can provide some info for you.

chuckk281-

I understand that VC uses the OA IP address to carry out certain functions. What I'm specifically interested in knowing is if VC supports having independent IP addresses for the two OA's (redundant) within a single enclosure. It appears that from the VCM only one IP address can ever be associated with a single enclosure. This becomes a major problem when maintenance occurs on the OA's or an unplanned failover of OA's occurs and thus a different "primary" IP address is associated with the enclosure.