HPE Community read-only access December 15, 2018
This is a maintenance upgrade. You will be able to read articles and posts, but not post or reply.
Hours:
Dec 15, 4:00 am to 10:00 am UTC
Dec 14, 10:00 pm CST to Dec 15, 4:00 am CST
Dec 14, 8:00 pm PST to Dec 15, 2:00 am PST
BladeSystem Virtual Connect
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Finding the MAC address of an uplink port

chuckk281
Trusted Contributor

Finding the MAC address of an uplink port

Nick was looking for some info on the Virtual Connect uplinks:

We are running VC 3.15 in an environment based in a remote data centre and I am being asked to provide the MAC address of some of the uplink ports to aid in troubleshooting some connectivity issues.

I have looked through the GUI and the CLI but nothing seems to show me the MAC of the individual uplink ports. Am I missing something here, or is this something we cannot get from 3.15?

Vincent replied:

OK, VC 3.15 does populate the “connected to” column for Ethernet uplinks *if* the upstream switch has LLDP enabled. See this for example:

webpic22.jpg

You get the MAC address of the upstream switch and the Port ID. In some cases (such as this ProCurve switch), you might have to dig into the Detailed statistics/information to find out the real port number in the Port Description field of the LLDP info.

Nick replied:

Thanks Vincent, that is my error, I thought I recalled in earlier threads that there was an issue VC not filling out these fields that was going to be fixed in a later release.

I will ask them if they can turn on LLDP on those ports (which are CISCO).

Other questions or comments for Nick??