3044 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion

Firmware Upgrade for OA + VC

grinningdevil
Frequent Advisor

Firmware Upgrade for OA + VC

Guys, 

A confirmation needed - both VC and OA and running with 3.70 (with 460G7 Blades) ,and needs to be updated to 4.50. 

Couple of Questions -  

Please confirm > As per compatibility table, VC running at 3.70 is compatible with OA running 4.50 - 

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=mmr_kc-0100204-12

2.  If we schedule upgrade of VC later, and just concentrate on OA upgrade, is this sequence of upgrade good  ? 

3.60 > 4.11 > 4.23 > 4.30 > 4.40 > 4.50

4 REPLIES 4
Vktor
Frequent Advisor

Re: Firmware Upgrade for OA + VC

grinningdevil
Frequent Advisor

Hello Vktor ! 

I dont get your question.   I am looking for answers to two questions I posted above - one is related to whether I can wait upgrading VC (and just upgrade OA for now), and the second question involves the sequence of OA upgrade to follow. 

Robert_Jewell
Honored Contributor

I have not had any problems when updating OA FW from 3.xx to 4.,xx directly.  I do not think you need to step through the releases.   If you wish to be cautious you can go to 4.11 first and then to 4.50.  I would advise to create a config backup before and after each update.

Dont forget about the server iLO firmware!  Check to see if those need updating as well.

Virtual Connect will be fine with you updating the OA.  However, your version 3.70 is old, so I agree in your decision to update it. Updating VC firmware is a bit more involved so it does make sense to step up through the major releases.  You certainly could directly update from 3.70 to the latest and most likely everything will be fine.  The issue is if during the update the configuration is corrupted you may not be able to restore from the configuration backup.  If that happens, you have to downgrade back to 3.70 which could also force your configuration to be cleared.  To be sure your configuration backup is compatible update to 4.10 and then to 4.50.   Once again, take backup before and after each update.

Also notes about VC version 4.50:

vc450note.jpg

-Bob

----------------
Was this helpful? Like this post by giving me a thumbs up below!
grinningdevil
Frequent Advisor

Thanks for the answer Bob, was helpful ! 

Can you please see the following steps - for VC update  and maybe point out to something fishy ?!? 

1.backup Virtual Connect configuration (via VCSU)
2.perform a health check with VCSU
3.update all Virtual Connect from 3.70 to 4.50
4.reset VC module Bay 2 (standby) & run health check with VCSU
5.on Bay 1: force failover from the primary to the standbye (selecting reset VCM from the tools pulldown menu and select checkbox 'force failover") and run healt check with VCSU
6.reset Bay 4 and run healthcheck with VCSU
7.reset Bay 3 and run healthcheck with VCSU