108723 Solutions
New Discussion

Flex-10/10D: Server FlexNIC 3 & 4 mapping to Mezz2 instead of LOM

pmehta2
Occasional Contributor

Flex-10/10D: Server FlexNIC 3 & 4 mapping to Mezz2 instead of LOM

Greetings. Newbie to HP C7K.

I have the following configuration:

1. BL460c blades with 536 FLB and a 560M in Mezz2.

2. VC Flex-10/10D in bay 1 & 2.

3. Passthru in 5 & 6 for 560M (Unused for now)

I am trying to create a configuration where I add 4 (Flex)NICs to the blade. 2 ports (w/ bonding) to carry untagged OAM traffic (vNet_10_61 in attached image1). And 2 ports to carry VLANs. A combination of Scenario 1 & 7 in the Cookbook.

However when I attach the profile to the server, it maps port 3 & 4 to Mezz2 rather than to the LOM. This is even when I pull out the passthru modules. Somehow I cannot see the detailed flex-nic mapping after clicking the server profile (image2), but the CLI confirms the mapping.

I tried Factory v/s VC MACs, capping max speed limits etc.

I added two more ports and kept port 3 & 4 unassigned. And that worked! But I cannot find such a recommendation in the User Guide.

Q1: Is that the recommended method of forcing a mapping?

Q2: Does leaving such ports unassigned have any other effect? For e.g. their usage with passthrus?

VC Firmware: 4.60 (also seen on 4.50)

1 REPLY 1
Thomas Martin
Trusted Contributor

Re: Flex-10/10D: Server FlexNIC 3 & 4 mapping to Mezz2 instead of LOM

Hello,

this is a normal behaviour. The first two nic in the server profile are mapped to the first ports of onboard NIC. If you add a mezz card then the next two nics in the server profile are mapped to the first ports of this card. You can add more nics to the profile and then you can see the mapping to the physical ports.

Its no problem to leave these nics unassigned. If I could remember me correctly then the unassigned Nics are not shown in the OS.

Thomas