BladeSystem - General
1748260 Members
3573 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: HP FlexConnect iSCSI HBA (NC553m Emulex) - Hyper-V Server 2008 R2 iSCSI Configuration Issue

mwalkertx320
Occasional Contributor

HP FlexConnect iSCSI HBA (NC553m Emulex) - Hyper-V Server 2008 R2 iSCSI Configuration Issue

I'm trying to setup Hyper-V Server 2008 R2 with iSCSI. I've got 3 2-Port Nics (1-NC553i, 2-NC553m FlexConnect 10GB Nics). I've configured the last 2 (Mezzine 2:1B, 2B) as iSCSI HBA in the Virtual Connect Profiles.

They are not showing up in the HP Network Configuration Utility (NCU), and I can't for the life of me figure out how to set the IP addresses on these 2 interfaces.

This is Hyper-V Server 2008 R2 - which is basically the CORE version of 2008 R2. I'm also fairly new to the iSCSI and SAN world and this whole Virtual Connect thingy (I should have opted for the good ol Cisco modules). Does anyone know how I go about setting the IP addresses on these things? I'm assuming that you use the NCU to do this - but they ain't showing up, which I'm assuming is because they're showing up in device manager as Storage HBAs. It appears that I'm missing the iSCSI tab in the NCU. I'm running hpteam.cpl - I've tried cpqteam.exe, but nothing happens when this is run.

Any help is appreciated.

3 REPLIES 3
MBSNL
Advisor

Re: HP FlexConnect iSCSI HBA (NC553m Emulex) - Hyper-V Server 2008 R2 iSCSI Configuration Issue

Please continue posting in this topic:
http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/HP-BladeSystem-Virtual-Connect/Flex-10-Accelerated-iSCSI-on-BL460c-G7/td-p/4835479

Answer (Download link for OneCommand Manager) is posted there as well.
Hongjun Ma
Trusted Contributor

I'll post in the link MBSNL pointed for more details.

You can see VC and Windows config there.

My VC blog: http://hongjunma.wordpress.com

Lionel_Jullien
HPE Pro

Do not confuse between hardware and software iSCSI initiators.

Accelerated iSCSI always uses a specific port (i.e. host bus adapters) and require a utility from the HBA vendor (i.e. Emulex OneConnect Manager). Accelerated iSCSI is enabled when the iSCSI HBA section under the Virtual Connect profile is used.

So you cannot use the HP Network Configuration Utility (NCU) to manage and configure iSCSI HBAs. NCU can only manage the NIC ports. So in order to manage and assign an IP address to your iSCSI HBA ports (mandatory to connect iSCSI volumes) you need to install the OneCommand Manager utility from Emulex.

For more information about OneCommand Manager, refer to the User Manual of the Emulex OneCommand Manager

http://bizsupport1.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/s​upportmanual/c02018556/c02018556.pdf

OneCommand Manager can be installed by HP System Update Manager (HP SUM) but it can as well be downloaded from the web:
1/ From the Support and Driver hp.com web page, enter a Blade model, for example: BL460 G7
2/ Then select the operating system
3/ click on the Utility – FC HBA section
4/ Then download and install the OneCommand Manager Application Kit

Then launch the OneCommand utility from Windows start menu / All Programs / Emulex / OCManager

Once under OCManager, click on each iSCSI ports detected on your server to set a static or DHCP IP address.

When all this is done, you must use the Microsoft iSCSI initiator with MPIO to manage the multipath connection to the storage volumes.