BladeSystem Virtual Connect
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HP Virtual Connect versus HP ProCurve (blade switches) in a c7000?

Hugh Wanger
Occasional Visitor

I'm agonizing whether to go with HP Virtual Connect or HP ProCurve blade switches in my c7000. Has anyone else been in this position? Not sure I need the complexity or granularity of Virtual Connect Flex 10. Is ProCurve the strategic direction for HP? I can get a 6120XG and just give each server 10Gig, trunk 4 x 10G uplinks, seems simple. Yet HP are steering me to Virtual Connect. Has anyone owned both and can give their opinion?
4 REPLIES
Michael Ryder
Occasional Visitor

For you the decision may also depend on the maker of your core switches. Cisco? HP? We are a Cisco shop, and there's a learning curve to configuring the ProCurve (at least for us). Installed in another of our chassis are 1st generation Virtual Connect ethernet and FC interconnects. We find the Virtual Connect modules far easier to configure and manage. -mike-
cjheimantx
Occasional Advisor

We have used both virtual connect and the cisco 3020 and we are a cisco shop. We have server ops\engineering and network ops\engineering support pillars which basically means we break our groups up into core skills. We are considering the flex10 vc module for a very specific configuration and plan on leveraging the onboard flex10 adapters in the newer blades. Other than this unique scenario we do not think the extra costs can be justified and we will maintain our -F vc module standard. The cisco modules integrate better into our environment and allow our networking ops\engineering team to apply their existing skills and processes to manage them. I prefer the Cisco module over VC primarily due to firmware updates. Moving the network ops team's visibiltiy right up to the backplane requires very little learning curve and is very beneficial for our organization. I think this opinion could be applied to your situation whether you are a Cisco or HP shop on the network side.
cjheimantx
Occasional Advisor

Also consider SAN connectivity if it applies.
Hugh Wanger
Occasional Visitor

Guys, we have HP ProCurve 5400 as our core. I don't need server/client side granularity, as this is just a big motorway lane for iSCSI traffic. So each blade will run ESX 4.0, have a 10G connection to a switch blade, then switch blade uplinks to our HP core and ISCSI VLAN. I'm thinking that VC Flex 10 is complication we don't need. I think I will go with 6120XG. We'll go first, suffer and you can learn from our mistakes ;)