1753505 Members
5029 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion

HPE Virtual Connect Config Issues

Alex_SG1262
Occasional Visitor

HPE Virtual Connect Config Issues

So I have a new HPE C7000 G3 enclosure and I am having issues with getting the networks connections right. Below is the equipment I am using.

• HPE C7000 G3 enclosure

• 2xHP VC FlexFabric 10Gb/24-port Modules

• 6x HPE BL460c Gen10

• HP FlexFabric 20Gb 2-port 650FLB Adapter

• Windows Server 2016

• No virtual servers or ESX hosts.

There is a 10G Fiber connection going from VC1 and VC2 to different Cisco Nexus 5K switches. The port configuration is setup for trunk mode with a port channel.

On the virtual connect side, I have 2 shared uplink sets created. One for each 10G connection. SUS_1 is using the VC1 10G fiber and SUS_2 is using the VC2 10G fiber. On each SUS, I have the VLANs tagged that are also configured on the switch side with the trunk config. I also have smart link enabled.

Now for the server profiles, I have Port 1 using the SUS_1 Ethernet network and Port 2 using the SUS_2 Ethernet network. I then assign the server profile to the correct server bay. Port speed type is preferred.

Now this is where my problem occurs, I have Windows Server 2016 installed and when I test configured the network connection on NIC1, I cannot reach out to our network. No traffic comes in either. But when I setup a NIC team like I want to do, it starts working. Below is the NIC Teaming settings. So since I have port channel setup on the switch side, do I always require a NIC team on the OS?

While the NIC team is up, and I disable the NIC1 to simulate a failure, the connection moves to NIC2 but no input or output happens and it stops pinging. Is there something wrong with my configuration?

Teaming Mode: Switch Indepedent

Load Balancing mode: Dynamic

Standby Adapter: NIC2

The reason we require a port-channel on the switch is due to our standards provided by the network team. 

The standard is to have any end point (servers) connected to our network devices with 2 NICs being set up with a teaming (Windows world) / bonding (Unix world) on the server side and Port-Channel (PC) or Virtual PC (vPC) on the network end with LACP.

This is to avoid any MAC flapping as it’s mentioning onto the screenshot that you attached into your email.
A MAC flapping is a problem that could break down our network, therefore to avoid this issue we need to follow our standard defined worldwide.

5 REPLIES 5
frenchy94
Regular Advisor

Re: HPE Virtual Connect Config Issues

Did you map correctly vlan on nic port since you have configured SUS some
vlan are arriving on nic port

---
L'absence de virus dans ce courrier électronique a été vérifiée par le logiciel antivirus Avast.
https://www.avast.com/antivirus
Alex_SG1262
Occasional Visitor

I have tried both options. Configuring the vLAN on the OS nic port and not configuring it. Both give me the same issue.  I am thinking if I need a different setup if I cannot remove port-channel. 

• VC1

• SUS_1

• Link_1 to Switch_1

• Link_2 to Switch_2

• VC2

• SUS_2

• Link_1 to Switch_1

• Link_2 to Switch_2

frenchy94
Regular Advisor

You need to configure vlan at OS level, when failover occurs check arp table
on both switches to see if mac of server moves

---
L'absence de virus dans ce courrier électronique a été vérifiée par le logiciel antivirus Avast.
Alex_SG1262
Occasional Visitor

This is the issue I am having currently. 

NIC1 and NIC2 teamed in OS.
NIC1 is primary/active
NIC2 is secondary/standby

When I force NIC2 to fail and NIC1 is still online, the connection drops. Server no longer pings.
When I force NIC1 to fail and NIC2 is still online, the connection stays up and the server pings.

The switch config is below:

interface Ethernet1/7

description BladeChassis01

switchport mode trunk

switchport trunk allowed vlan 100, 101, 136, 137, 501

spanning-tree port type edge trunk

channel-group 46

no shutdown

frenchy94
Regular Advisor

Check arp table to see if mac move

Show arp

---