BladeSystem - General
1753511 Members
5166 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion

In tunnel mode does server to server traffic go through uplinks?

Tyson
Occasional Contributor

In tunnel mode does server to server traffic go through uplinks?

I'm currently in a test environment learning what I can of the Flex-10 switches. When I discovered that adding a VLAN to a blade in VLAN Mapping mode requires downing the blade I looked for ways around this. In our environment we add VLANs to our ESX cluster all the time. Having to down our cluster one blade at a time just to add a VLAN is awful.

Anyways I figured out I can get around this (or so it appears) by running in tunnel mode. My question is how smart is the Flex-10 switch in this mode. If Blade 1 sends traffic to Blade 2 does the traffic stay in the Flex-10 switch or does the Flex-10 switch just blindly forward traffic from Blade 1 to the uplink switch and depend on that switch to direct the traffic back to the Flex-10 switch for delivery to Blade 2?

Thanks!

PS: I hope HP is working on allowing us to add VLANs to blades in Mapped Mode without downing the blade. Coming from a Cisco environment this is a rude shock and to be honest we probably would not have bought the hardware if this had appeared in the documentation we saw during research.