BladeSystem - General
1753865 Members
7518 Online
108809 Solutions
New Discussion

Insight Remote Support Advanced Software (IRSA) & Virtual Connect Logical Serial Numbers

chuckk281
Trusted Contributor

Insight Remote Support Advanced Software (IRSA) & Virtual Connect Logical Serial Numbers

Kareene had a warranty or support question:

Hi!

How does Insight Remote Support Advanced Software and Insight Remote Support Software (IRSA&IRSS) react to the Virtual Connect “Logical” Serial Numbers assigned by either VCM/VCEM?

I’m suspecting SIM is smart enough to realize the real serial numbers, but I can’t seem to find documentation on this…

I only found a Caution note in the VC for c-class User Guide stating the following:

CAUTION: The use of Serial Number (Logical) Settings might prevent the proper operation of

software designed to track servers by serial number or UUID. Do not enable this feature until

you consider and understand the impact to the entire software environment in which the servers

operate. This impact includes, but is not limited to, warranty service, asset tracking, server

deployment, and software licensing.

Does anyone have any specific documentation on how the Virtual Connect Logical serial numbers are being handled in IRSA environment?

David responded:

Logical serial numbers are what are returned from normal API requests or access to SMBIOS.  Hardware serial numbers are accessed by new APIs used by HP applications such as HP SIM.

Are you using IRSS or IRSA for support? How is it doing for you? Let us know.