1748003 Members
4339 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: LACP Etherchannel with HP BL460c Blade enclosure - Connectivity issues

Solcal
Occasional Visitor

LACP Etherchannel with HP BL460c Blade enclosure - Connectivity issues

I've got an HP BL460c blade center with Flex10 switch connecting to a 6509 running CAT OS via two separate LACP etherchannel groups, each group has two 1GB links to the 6509. I am having some strange layer 2 connectivity issues with the blade server on the HP blade center. From the HP blade server for some reason I am not able to ping another server (a regular HP 2U server) and both servers are connected to the same 6509 module and are on the same VLAN. And from the sniffer trace I learned that the issue has something to do with ARP. It seems like there is no ARP response when I try to ping. So I was able to come up with a workaround for the time being by manually add static ARP entry on both servers (HP blade server and the regular HP 2U server). At this point I suspect it's something with the LACP eitherchannel link between the 6509 and HP blade center but I don't know what would cause the issue.

Any inputs/suggestions is highly appreciated !!!

Thanks in advance !!!

D.

4 REPLIES 4
chuckk281
Trusted Contributor

Did you take a look at the Virtual Connect cookbook document? I have also requested some technical assistance or advice. Can you tell me what generation of blade server is the BL460c? And what version of Virtual Connect are you running? The latest is version 3.10.

HP Virtual Connect Ethernet Cookbook: http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c01990371/c01990371.pdf

Stevem
Frequent Advisor

Could you provide more details on how VC is configured?  Do you have TWO vNets or one?  Are some links active, while others are in stby?  What OS is the server running?  Do you have any NIC teaming configured?  How are the ports on the 6509 configured as well?  The more detail the better.

Chris m W
Advisor

I've been battling the same issue for a couple months.  The first time this happened was with the blade servers trying to communciate with DL360 G5's.  My problem on those was the bindings order on the DL360 g5's, by default it would put the adapters ahead of the order above the Team itself.    My issue now is have two Virtual connnects in each chassis, each going to their own Cisco Switch.  I have multiple chassis in this configuration.   When using nics on servers that connect to chassis a virtual connect 1 cannot ping servers in Chassis B Virtual connect 1.  As well they cannot ping Dl380's if they are also on the same switch.  It is definately an ARP problem.  If you ping the destination server from your blade remote into your destination server and you will see that in the arp table it shows the IP address of your source server with a MAC address of all 0's and type invalid.  I have had a call open with HP and they found that our Cisco switches had modules in them that have serial numbers in the range of numbers that are deemed faulty and should be swapped out.  I am still waiting for our network team to swap out the modules to see if it really fixes it. 

Not trying to hijack your thread, just thought I would be able to provide more info.

Chris m W
Advisor

Just to let you know, the affect modules were replaced last night and our issue went away.  Looks like HP was right.