BladeSystem - General
1752827 Members
3445 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Migrating from 1/10G VC ENet modules to Flex10 Modules - Anyone done it ??

The Brit
Honored Contributor

We are currently discussing the possibilities of upgrading our c7000 Production and development enclosures from 1/10G VC ENet modules to Flex10 modules. We currently have VC ENet modules in Bays 1,2,3 & 4, and 4G FC VC modules in Bays 5,6,7 & 8. The enclosures contain a mix of bl860c's running OpenVMS, and bl465c G1/5 running Linux and Windows. We want to replace the 1/10G VC Enet modules in bays 1 & 2 with Flex10 modules and I am trying to determine how much pain this will entail (in order to estimate maintenance window). First basic question: Can a Flex10 module import a VC Configuration file that was generated on a 1/10G module ? (he asked expecting the answer, NO!) If anyone has done this themselves, I would appeciate any information/documentation/notes/scripts/observations/suggestions/... that you might be able to provide, either here in the forum, or directly to me via e-mail (address provided in my profile) Thanks in advance Dave.
3 REPLIES 3
chopper3
Frequent Advisor

I don't understand why you want to do this, the blades you currently own don't have flex-10 capable NICs - I don't see what you'd gain.
John Bianchi

The inital benefit would be uplink and maybe even module consolidation. I think certain 1Gb integrated blade NICs will negotiate at 2.5Gb. Our old enclosure config was 4 VC-Enet modules and we used ALL the 1G uplinks. With Flex-10 we're down to 2 modules and 4 uplinks. Fortunately we're able to deploy brand new enclosures with the new onboard administrators and move the blades and VMs over. Legacy enclosures will then be stripped and rebuilt.
chopper3
Frequent Advisor

Certainly you can use 10Gb Ethernet uplinks but I really don't see how it can help with module consolidation and only the Flex-10s can go over 1Gbps.