1753428 Members
4899 Online
108793 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Migration procedure of HP VC FlexFabric-20/40 F8 Module to OneView

MarcoMilone
Advisor

Migration procedure of HP VC FlexFabric-20/40 F8 Module to OneView

Hi, i have 2 enclosure c7000 with 2 VC each.  

The models are HP VC FlexFabric-20/40 F8 and has a latest firmware 4.85.

I setup a virtual machine OneView 5.50.00-0426657 (vmware).

I have 32 license OneView Advanced (no iLO).

I would like to be able to manage the two enclosures with OneView.
I have some questions for you.
a) Does it make sense to have only one oneview or better to dedicate one per enclosure?
b) Is it better to have it outside the infrastructure or can it be a virtual machine inside the infrastructure?

c) Can you tell me the procedure for the migration of the vc in oneview mode?

Thanks to much!

8 REPLIES 8
Suvamay
HPE Pro

Hello,

a) Does it make sense to have only one oneview or better to dedicate one per enclosure?

Answer: One appliance is enough. No need of another OV appliance.

b) Is it better to have it outside the infrastructure or can it be a virtual machine inside the infrastructure?

Answer: It is suggested to have the appliance installed outside of the infrastructure which you are going to manage or monitor. I would suggest you to install the appliance outside of these two enclosure.

c) Can you tell me the procedure for the migration of the vc in oneview mode?

Please folow the below link

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=a00066823en_us&docLocale=en_US

https://h20195.www2.hpe.com/v2/GetPDF.aspx/4AA5-0351ENW.pdf

I'm an HPE employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
MarcoMilone
Advisor

Thank you for your reply. I understand the layout. Great

I have some problem to add my enclosure in managed mode. It's working only in monitored mode.

The error is: "The enclosure is managed by Virtual Connect Manager.

Resolution: To forcibly add this enclosure without preserving configuration, specify the force option and add the enclosure again. Select to force add the enclosure will remove all Virtual Connect configuration and make the enclosure unmanagable by Virtual Connect Manager".

Obviously this is not a solution to consider..

How can migrate the virtual connect to OneView Mode without Outage? It's possibile? On documentations that you linked me cannot find the correct way.

Thank you!

Suvamay
HPE Pro

Hi,

Please find the below 

https://psnow.ext.hpe.com/doc/a00095897en_us

refer page no 258.

Thanks,

I'm an HPE employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
MarcoMilone
Advisor

Thanks! 

It's possible that from 5.20 to  5.50 version of oneview the virtual connect migration process is changed ?

on my "Add enclosure page" I have only two options

"Add enclosure for management"

"Add enclosure for monitoring"

the third option "Add enclosuer and migrate virtual connect domain" is missing!

MarcoMilone
Advisor

Hi, i found this on release note of 5.40

NOTE: HPE Virtual Connect to HPE OneView migration manager feature announcement
The HPE Virtual Connect to HPE OneView migration manager will be removed from HPE OneView in an upcoming release.

And in release note of 5.50

NOTE: HPE Virtual Connect to HPE OneView migration manager feature announcementThe HPE Virtual Connect to HPE OneView migration manager has been removed from HPE OneView 5.5. To migrate toHPE OneView 5.5, first migrate to HPE OneView 5.4 and then upgrade to HPE OneView 5.5.

in your opinion, why?

Suvamay
HPE Pro

Hi,

I also have checked. 

Please install the OV appliance 5.40 then migrate since they have removed migration option.

Thanks

I'm an HPE employee.
Accept or Kudo
MarcoMilone
Advisor

I confirm that with version 5.40 it is possible to start the migration of the virtual connect.
I'll ask you one last question. I have two virtual connect in stacking links. The test reports only an warning concerning the SMI-S which will be enabled at the end of the migration.

I would like to do a migration without outage. Do you think it is possible? It is not clear for me. 

It's a production environment, I can't do any disservice. If I have to restart the hosts I can do it manually after doing the vmotion of the VMs. It doesn't have to be an automatic operation. I have to schedule it to restart

Thank's!

Suvamay
HPE Pro

Hello 

Yes live migration is possible. Please do check the test report if all are green then proceed with migartion. SMI-S warning is fine to proceed.

Thanks

I'm an HPE employee.
Accept or Kudo