1752794 Members
5871 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Multi-Enclosure Firmware Upgrade Process

Matt Sebel
Advisor

Multi-Enclosure Firmware Upgrade Process

I've been researching all of the different HP docs on the firmware upgrade processes available when upgrading the hardware in the c7000 chassis. I've downloaded the latest HP SPP/SUM and pointed it against a single test chassis and everything went quite smooth. Now, we're at the point where we'd like to run this against our multi-enclosure domain that has 3 chassis in it and each chassis has 2 10Gb VC-Eth modules.

From some of the docs, it appears that HP is still recommending upgrading the OA's using SUM and then using the VCSU to do the VC modules, but has anyone tried successfully just to use SUM to do the whole thing all at once via the GUI? Is this even possible?

7 REPLIES 7
Psychonaut
Respected Contributor

It is possible, I've tested it in a test domain with two chassis with FlexFabric.  Since that test I've used VCSU for all my upgrades - for three reasons; the first is to do a healthcheck to verify the domain health (yes you can do before using SUM); the second is because I am using VCEM and the third/most important reason is that VC really is the heart of my chassis and it isn't worth the risk (which I feel is small).

So while it is technically possible - why take the risk?  Running VCSU is really easy; just keep using it.  

Matt Sebel
Advisor

I think I will stick with the VCSU then as that seems to be the preferred way.

How are you handling the OA and iLO upgrades? Are you using SUM to take care of those or have you done some scripting of that as well? 

Psychonaut
Respected Contributor

SUM, we are looking at getting an actually a SUM server running (just been loading it locally so far and running it that way).   Have you seen the Firmware Management options in 3.60, if not check it out.

Maxnj
Occasional Advisor

HP Firmware,Drivers,iLo Upgrade using HPSUM Command line

Is that possible to upgrade all HP servers's Firmware,Drivers & ILO same time using HPSUM Command line?

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: HP Firmware,Drivers,iLo Upgrade using HPSUM Command line

It depends.

Some firmware can only be updated in offline mode, drivers can only be updated in online mode.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Maxnj
Occasional Advisor

Re: HP Firmware,Drivers,iLo Upgrade using HPSUM Command line

My question is related to all servers in the environment . Doesn't matter all firmware or few....
Maxnj
Occasional Advisor

Have you try to upgrade OA and iLo using scripting?