HPE Community read-only access December 15, 2018
This is a maintenance upgrade. You will be able to read articles and posts, but not post or reply.
Hours:
Dec 15, 4:00 am to 10:00 am UTC
Dec 14, 10:00 pm CST to Dec 15, 4:00 am CST
Dec 14, 8:00 pm PST to Dec 15, 2:00 am PST
BladeSystem Virtual Connect
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multi-Enclosure VC Domain with OAs in different subnets

chuckk281
Trusted Contributor

Multi-Enclosure VC Domain with OAs in different subnets

Max was looking for some advice:

A customer has a multi-enclosure Virtual Connect Domain built of 3 c7000s with full redundant 10GB stacking. Two of them have OAs/VC modules/iLO´s ip addresses on the same network (192.168.30.x /24) but the third enclosure has its OA/VCs/iLOs ip addresses on a different subnet (192.168.31.x /24). The VC Domain is working well and there is connectivity between both networks due to layer 3 routing at the core switch.

I have read documentation and heard in courses that for a VC Domain all OAs must be on the same subnet, but I still have some questions about this statement:

1. What would be the risk related to having these enclosures IP addresses on different networks?
  2. Is this an HP supported configuration?

From my perspective, putting the third enclosure in the same subnet would only prevent its traffic from a layer 3 routing process, but I don´t see how it clould affect VC Domain operation.

Of course I could be missing something.

Input from Jim:

It is important that the IP subnet you plan on using for OA and VC traffic is not over utilized. Virtual Connect Manager relies on LAN connectivity between the Onboard Administrators to provide management and control in a multi-enclosure Virtual Connect domain. This connection ensures the configuration settings of the distributed modules remain in sync. HP recommends isolating the management network from other networks to ensure that the communication integrity remains intact.

Page 3 - http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c02102153/c02102153.pdf

Any other comments or suggestions?