108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

No FC NPIV WWN on qlogic switch fom 4GbVCFC Modules

MikeUK
Occasional Advisor

No FC NPIV WWN on qlogic switch fom 4GbVCFC Modules

I have a problem with a Sanbox 5600 connecting to an HP Virtual Connect
FC module in an HP C7000 blade chassis.

This is a lab setup, similar to our live setup in our datacenter, apart from the live has 2 sanbox 5600 switches. The
live setup is functioning correctly and has been for a few years, however the lab which is being setup now is not.

The VC module is connected to the switch and I can see the base port login for the modules listed as 'unknown', this is just as in the live system, but unlike the live system, the NPIV WWN logins for the QHM2462 HBAs in the servers are not showing up.

I have updated to the latest firmwares and also downgraded to the same version as is working on the live setup but it doesn't work. I have also defaulted the HP VC domain and re-setup the blade system from scratch but this has not worked either. I have used the same optics as are woring in the live system. The Qlogic driver on the blade is showing as link down, hardly surprising as it's not logged in.

The WWN for the VC connections I expected to see are
50:06:0B:00:00:C2:66:00

Any ideas why there are no NPIV logins to the switch?

6 REPLIES 6
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Re: No FC NPIV WWN on qlogic switch fom 4GbVCFC Modules

Is NPIV enabled on the switch and ports?

Is the SAN-switch in the right slot?

There is a fixed connection between the mezzanine slot and the interconnect bay.

MikeUK
Occasional Advisor

Yes NPIV is on and cannot be disabled on the Sanbox 5600.

Its an external switch, not in a slot, the C7000 has VC FC 4GB modules in 5 & 6, with VC 1/10G in 1 to 4, a supported configuration.

Yes, the attached images show the connection status of HBA.

Qlogic support have seen the tech output of the switch and say they can't see anything wrong, this is a copy of our live setup, so I know it should work, but I'm stumped.

Hongjun Ma
Trusted Contributor

the blade is on right? the first screen capture shows the blade is off.

try to unplug the blade and put it back in the following steps, just want to make sure the profile is correctedly applied.

-set the server to not poweron at insert into the chassis.  this can be done from the iLO web administration under power settings.  it is a checkbox. then click submit.

-power off the blade server

-unassign server profile in virtual connect -unseat the blade for 30 seconds to allow voltage to clear from iLO -reseat the blade server -reassign server profile -boot server

My VC blog: http://hongjunma.wordpress.com

MikeUK
Occasional Advisor

Yes, the blade was off when the first screen grab was done, but as I said, the blade showed no link in the windows driver, so it was on then.

I have tried what you said and everything remians the same.

I had defaulted the config, which already had removed and re-applied a new config to the blade from the start. (Luckily the default password is on the primary VC Ethernet module label and that the user is case sensitive so remember the A in Administrator)

Terri Harris
Honored Contributor

If you check HP's support for SAN switches connecting to a Virtual Connect FC module, you will see it does not include this QLogic SAN switch (see SPOCK). So I don't know if you will be able to get this working or not.

With the supported HP SN6000 8GB Qlogic NPIV is enabled by default and no changes were needed to get the blade pWWNs to log in.

Hongjun Ma
Trusted Contributor

if u have the same H/W working at other locations, please double check FW/driver version and also try to move to different slot to isoloate any H/W issue.

My VC blog: http://hongjunma.wordpress.com