4686 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Non Flex-10 Mezz Cards and FlexNIC Enumeration

ricdanger21
Advisor

Non Flex-10 Mezz Cards and FlexNIC Enumeration

Hi there,

I currently have two BL460c G7 servers with a NC382m Mezz card. I have two Virtual Connect FlexFabric in slot 1 and 2, and two ethernet passthrough in slot 5 and 6. The passthrough show as "unamanaged" in Virtual Connect.

When I create a profile for a server, Virtual Connect will assign personalities to the Mezz cards, even if they are unsupported.

And the problem is that it does not assign the adapters to the LOMs first. It assigns in the following order:

LOM1:a Bay 1

LOM1:a Bay 2

Mezz2:1: Bay 5

Mezz2:1: Bay 6

LOM1:b Bay 1

LOM1:b Bay 2

LOM1:c Bay 1

LOM1:c Bay 2

LOM1:d Bay 1

LOM1:d Bay 2

To make it work on servers with mezz I have to add two dummy cards to the profile, after the first two ethernet connections. This makes it impossible the migration of profiles from servers with mezz to servers without mezz, because as I have to remove the dummy nics (and loose the Mac address mappings in the process).

Any idea how to make Virtual Connect:

a) Ignore the unsupported mezz cards?

b) Assign all FlexNics from the LOMs before starting applying personalities to the Mezz?

Regards.

3 REPLIES 3
Hongjun Ma
Trusted Contributor

currently there is no way to change this round robin assignment behavior.

You should talk with you local HP account team for them to raise business case to VC team for any potential change

My VC blog: http://hongjunma.wordpress.com

ricdanger21
Advisor

So, this is "by design"? Not a bug on my particular installation?

Hongjun Ma
Trusted Contributor

this is not a bug. This design is from day-1. It's not perfect for all scenarios like yours but to change it will require engineerings resources on the code change and that'll need some business cases to justify it.

My VC blog: http://hongjunma.wordpress.com