BladeSystem Virtual Connect
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Placement of VCM in FlexFabric/Flex-10-mixed Enclosure (Primary and Secondary Role, Subordinates)

ASC923
Occasional Visitor

Placement of VCM in FlexFabric/Flex-10-mixed Enclosure (Primary and Secondary Role, Subordinates)

We have a c7000 Enclosure equipped with BL460c G6's. Each bladeserver has the FlexFabric-CNA (NC553m) in MEZZ1-slot.

I/O-bays 1&2 are equipped with the Flex-10-Virtualconnect-Module (Ethernet only)

I/O-bays 3&4 are equpped with the new FlexFabric-Virtualconnect-Modules.

Stacking is done horizontally and vertically.

thus, the LOM-ports are mapped to I/O-bays 1&2, whereas the FlexFabric-CNAs are mapped to I/O-bays 3&4.

The question now is where to "put" the VirtualConnect-Manager Roles / VCM (Primary and Secondary)? When starting the VC-Domain-Wizard the VCM roles are automatically "put" to the older modules (Flex-10 in Bays 1&2).FF-Modules in 3/4 carry the role of "Subordinates".

But if we first create the Domain by only putting in the Flex-Fabric-Modules into I/O-bays 3&4, the Domain is created using VCM on 3&4. Afterwards the Flex-10-Modules can be inserted to 1&2 without any problem and become the role of "Subordinates".

The idea behind putting the VCM onto something else than the default: Flex-Fabric-Modules are newer and the responsiveness of the GUI is somewhat better than if VCM is running on older Flex-10-modules...

Which configuration (VCM placement) is supported and suggested by HP?

In the Release-Notes of the VC-Firmware is mentioned only that the requirement of running the VCM in a module other than in I/O-bay 1&2 has been removed since version 3.xx