BladeSystem Virtual Connect
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Port mirroring and multiple core switches but with same VLAN id on Virtual Connect (VC)

chuckk281
Trusted Contributor

Port mirroring and multiple core switches but with same VLAN id on Virtual Connect (VC)

Jason had some Virtual COnnect questions and Vincent replied in his email:

Hi all,

Had a couple of questions around VC, hopefully these are very simple to answer..

“…setting up Port Mirroring so we can sniff the traffic for our IDS system, as well as letting us know exactly what traffic we would be able to see i.e. will we see traffic that does not traverse the external uplink ports?”

Yes. Anything the VC module receives or sends on the monitored port(s) (downlinks) would be mirrored on the analyzer port.

“…have another query about connecting different core switches to the VC modules with the same VLAN id, but different subnets. My understanding is that it is possible, but they must be connected to different VC modules. “

Not sure I fully understand the question but VC does not know or care about subnets, it operates only at layer 2. You could perfectly have different subnets in the same VLAN going through a VC module.

Any other comments or suggestions for Jason? Have you used the "Port Mirroring" features of Virtual Connect?