1753261 Members
5026 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion

Problem connecting VC-Flex10d to anything else

PDP-Fan
Valued Contributor

Problem connecting VC-Flex10d to anything else

I'm relatively new to VC-Flex... I'm working in the repair shop and I have to test some VC-Flex10d modules. I managed it to establish a link between two servers in two blade enclosures. Fo far so good...

But I can't get a working link between the VC-Flex and any other ethernet device (a switch for example). I don't have a 10GB switch to play with but I assume that the VC 10GB ports can also handle a 1GB link and thep down. Or am I wrong??

I have a 10GB Short Range SFP+ in both VC modules. Port speed ist set to AUTO.

Do I need special "VC compatible" switches for that?

"If it seems illogical... you just don't have enough information"
12 REPLIES 12
TVVJ
HPE Pro

Re: Problem connecting VC-Flex10d to anything else

Hi,

The VC Flex-10/10D quickspecs does not state any restrictions on switches compatiblity for uplink connectivity. Any combination of 1Gb and 10Gb cables can be used to interconnect the Virtual Connect Modules.

However the following provides recommended configurations (note that a built-in 10Gb link is provided between modules in horizontally adjacent bays).

Supported cable lengths on 10Gb uplinks are 3 to 15 meters and supported 10Gb stacking links (connecting between two HP Virtual Connect Ethernet Modules) are 0.5 to 7 meters.

Interconnecting the modules allows all Ethernet NICs on all server blades in the Virtual Connect domain to have access to any Virtual Connect uplink port.

By using these module-to-module links, a single pair of uplinks can be used as the data center network connections for the entire Virtual Connect domain, and allows any server blade to be connected to any Ethernet network.

Regards,

Vijayasarathy

I work for HPE
Views expressed herein are my personal opinion and are not the views of HPE

Accept or Kudo

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

Looking at the specs comparing the HP Virtual Connect FlexFabric 10 Gb/24-port Module to the

HP Virtual Connect Flex-10/10D Module, it appears the Flex 10/10D module only supports 10GbE uplinks

HP Virtual Connect and networking for BladeSystem

http://h20195.www2.hp.com/v2/getpdf.aspx/4AA4-8302ENW.pdf?ver=4

I also notice in the qucikspecs between the two modules, the FlexFabric 10Gb/24 has an option SFP+ RJ45 module available, and the Flex-10/10D doesn't offer this option

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
PDP-Fan
Valued Contributor

That would explain why no other connection works since I don't have a 10GB switch here...

Ken Henault
Honored Contributor

It does support 1Gb connections, but you'll need one of the following SFPs.

HP BladeSystem c-Class Virtual Connect 1G SFP SX Transceiver              PN: 453151-B21
HP BladeSystem c-Class Virtual Connect 1G SFP RJ-45 Transceiver       PN: 453154-B21

I am an HP Employee

Ken

Ken Henault
Infrastructure Architect
HP
PDP-Fan
Valued Contributor

Funny... I thought it would switch down to 1Gb automatically like most other devices do.

So the speed is determined by the SFP you use? Is this a general rule that 10Gb devices only can do 10Gb?

Ken Henault
Honored Contributor

Correct, Ethernet Optical media speed is controlled by the SFP/SFP+ module.  You need different modules for different speeds.

Ken Henault
Infrastructure Architect
HP
BK_HPE
Valued Contributor

Hello @PDP-Fan

First of all I want to tank Ken Henault for the excellent information.   You can purchase both the HP BladeSystem c-Class Virtual Connect 1G SFP SX Transceiver (453151-B21) and the HP BladeSystem c-Class Virtual Connect 1G SFP RJ-45 Transceiver (453154-B21) directly through the HP Small and Medium Business website to be able to connect the HP Virtual Connect Flex-10/10D Module to support 1Gb connections.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can help you with.

PDP-Fan
Valued Contributor

Already ordered.... thanks for all the information!

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

Thanks Ken, I wasn't sure if the RJ-45 SFP transcievers were an option since they were not listed in the quickspec and I didn't have any Flex10d modues in my lab to test 

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum!