5966 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Question on moving components from one enclosure to another

chuckk281
Trusted Contributor

Question on moving components from one enclosure to another

Mark was helping a customer do some enclosure modifications:

I don’t know if this question has been answered. I have a customer that has three c7000 enclosures in a rack. They want to remove all the blades and components from the top enclosure to the empty enclosure in the bottom enclosure and then remove the empty one on top. Are there any issues in doing that? All three enclosures OAs connected together.

Input from Monty:

You didn’t indicate if the enclosures have Virtual Connect.  The Virtual Connect dependency is based on their use of the Enclosure serial number to identify the Virtual Connect domain (same goes for VCEM).  You will need to save the VC configuration before the move if VC Manager is hosted in that top enclosure.  If VC Manager is in a different enclosure than the top enclosure then you will be adding the empty enclosure into the VC domain – and then adding profiles for each of the bays in that enclosure.  If VC Manager is in the top enclosure I believe you will need to delete the domain first then move all the components and create a new domain in the bottom enclosure.

Without Virtual Connect – the migration should be as simple as moving all the components. 

Comments from Dan:

Even with VC, What Monty describes assumes you have a Stacked VC domain which would be more than just some CAT5 cables daisy chained between the OAs.

If you have 3 different VC domains, you can still do the move, but you need to do the Binary Backup of the VC Domain (in the VC GUI under Backup/Restore or via VCSU).  Then after the parts have all been moved you will probably have to blow away the domain on those VC modules and restore the backup with the [X] Allow alternate Serial number option checked.

Any other comments or help?