BladeSystem Virtual Connect
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question on the maximum number of VLANs that can be assigned to a FlexNIC.

chuckk281
Trusted Contributor

Question on the maximum number of VLANs that can be assigned to a FlexNIC.

Question:

Following the 2.30 user manual there is a restriction of "Maximum of 28 unique server mapped VLANs per server profile network connection"

Does this mean for one flex-10 connection or for each of the four FlexNIC's so that 4x 28 VLANs are possible?

Answer from Chris:

The bottom line here is that 1 FlexNIC can have 28 VLANs assigned.  You cannot put the same VLAN ID on another FLexNIC on that same LOM.  Example: On LOM1, FlexNICs 1a and 1c cannot be assigned to the same VLAN ID (SUS) network.

3 REPLIES

Re: Question on the maximum number of VLANs that can be assigned to a FlexNIC.

Just to clarify here....

You CAN have the same "VLAN ID" presented to multiple FlexNICs on the same LOM. However, you can't have the same "VC Network" presented to multiple FlexNICs on the same LOM.

What this means is that if I want VLAN 100 (for example) presented to two FlexNICs on the SAME LOM, they must be presented via different VC Networks.
John R Bianchi
Occasional Visitor

So help me clarify a situation I have. i have a single shared uplink that has 60 VLANs on it. I have a BL685 G6 with 4 integrated NICs. Can I put 28 VLANs on one NIC and then when it fills up put the next 28 on the next NIC? I'm not breaking these out into flex NICs so I'm working with the default 4 LOMs.
mkastelijn31
Visitor

Yes, you can but you are not redundant nor load balanced. And if you uses section 2.3 of the Ethernet cookbook your redundance is at your server NICs.

Example 60VLANs and VMware:
VLANs 1-20 LOM 1a + 2a
VLANs 21-40 LOM 1b+2b
VLANs 41-60 LOM 1c+2c
Arrange the vSwitches on VMWare (for example) the right VLANs to be mapped to the right (flex)NICs.