4334 Online
108723 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Removing a VC domain from a VCEM domain group

MatthiasOtt
Occasional Collector

Removing a VC domain from a VCEM domain group

Hello,

we have a single c7000 enclosure and want to remove VCEM as it has no further benefit.

When we remove the VC domain from the VCEM domain group using the button "Remove from VC domain group ..." will there be any effect on availability, reset on the Flexmodules or similar? Do we lose any assigned WWN/MAC addresses?

Any hint would be greatly appreciated.

Matthias

5 REPLIES 5
Psychonaut
Respected Contributor

There will be no affect on availbility (I've done it a couple of times); it's a logical change that doesn't affect the running chassis/servers.

If you've used VCEM to generate your WWNs/MACs; those will come over with all active profiles.  But if you recreate or delete a profile it will start to use the range that you defined (an option during the removal process), you will no longer have access to the range you were using in VCEM.  So they'll just need to be rezoned, just something to be aware of.

MatthiasOtt
Occasional Collector

Thanks a lot,

we were guessing that it is just a logical change on management level, but we`ve made some strange experiences in the past with VCM and VCEM, so we appreciate your confirmation.

Do you know what happens with the server profiles which are also managed by VCEM?

Do I have to unassign them before or after the VC domain removal?

Matthias

Psychonaut
Respected Contributor

Glad to help - any assigned (even if the blade is off) profile will stay with the server and migrate into VCM, retaining the WWN/MAC/SN.  I'm pretty sure if you have any unassigned profiles those go away. 

Fishmango
Occasional Contributor

Hello,

We have a large VCEM 7.3 implementation controlling around 80 enclosures. We have a two enclosure VC Domain group that we need to change physical networking while keeping services alive in one of the two un-modified enclosures. My intention is to remove both enclosures from the domain group to do the work then add them back into the/a domain group in VCEM when complete.

Are there any known gotchas to accomplishing this process? I assume MAC's/WWN's will keep the same ranges specified in VCEM, and when your re-import the enclosures they will continue to use the same ranges?

Thanks for any insight.

YatendraRajput
Occasional Visitor

we have VCEM 7.2 Update 2 managing more than 15 HP blade enclosures (VC domains) under single VC Domain Group.. All logiocal WWNs and MAC addresses are being provided by VCEM to all blade servers in all Chassis or VC domains.

My Requirement is to update VCEM 7.2.2 to VCEM 7.6 version and to update it from 7.2.2 to 7.6, first I have to upgrade to 7.4 and then to 7.6. so correct supported path to upgrade from 7.2.2 is upgrade to VCEM 7.4 > VCEM 7.6.

But problem is that HPE site does have only VCEM 7.5 ISO and VCEM 7.6 ISO NOT VCEM 7.4 iso setup. In this case HP given a hint to remove existing VC doamins on existing VCEM 7.2.2, un-install VCEM, install new VCEM and add VC doamin back to upgraded VCEM 7.5 or 7.6.

now my queestion is that if I remove VC doamins (HP C7000 chassis) from VC domain group in running production, will there be any changes or effect or outage to the production servers which exist in restpective VC doamin and getting logical WWNs and MAC Address from VCEM itself?

it would be a great help if someone can provide correct information, correct way and correct path, how to go for VCEM upgrade from 7.2.2 to VCEM 7.6 considering all above points and how to remove VC domains, upgrade/re-install new VCEM and add removed VC doamins back without affecting production servers & without outage.