1752806 Members
5510 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Replacing VC Modules with Flex-10

Vince Garcia
Advisor

Wonder if anyone can give me some guidance. My customer is replacing VC ethernet modules in slots 1 and 2 with VC Flex-10 modules. He has VC Fibre Channel modules in slots 3 and 4. He would like to avoid having to reconfigure his VCM from scratch so as to retain his WWNs on the FC side since his SAN infrastructure depends on these WWN assignments remaining unchanged. Will he be able to backup his VCM configuration, and then restore it successfully after replacing the VC modules with Flex-10? Thank you for your thoughts. VinceG
6 REPLIES 6
vcblades
Frequent Advisor

I will by tommorow morning..from BB
vcblades
Frequent Advisor

No - it is recommenced to reconfigure(for several reasons-i am not listing all of them here) the new Flex-10 modules similar to VC Enet modules again but if you pick the right Servername/MAC/WWN range again, there should not be any conflicts. The whole process will not take more than 30 minutes but make sure all the firmware - iLo/OA/BiOS/VC (in this order) are all upto date before you start configuring the VC modules. Regarding config backup: You are doing this just incase you can'tconfigure Flex-10 modules and have thoughts of replacing the old VC Enet modules or if you want to make use of VC Enet modules later on on the same enclosure. Good Luck with the change and please don't hesistate to comment on my response - Thanks
Vince Garcia
Advisor

Thanks! Will let you know how it comes out.
Vince Garcia
Advisor

Thanks again. Can you elaborate on the reasons for the recommendation? I see in the Virtual Connect Installaion Guide on page 44-45 a procedure for upgrading VC to Flex-10 using backup/restore. I tend to trust your opinion, but will have to explain the reasons to my customer. Any write-ups you can point me to?
vcblades
Frequent Advisor

Personal field experience and is in my chi-chi list w.r.t best practices - fast/efficient/reliable/know what you did in few minutes rather than restore it and start validating if all changes applied successfully - Again, don't want to list the "Several reasons" as it confuses the audience as those cases could be due to a particular scenario -GL
Vince Garcia
Advisor

Good. That's enough. Thanks, pal.