108788 Solutions
New Discussion

SAN Fabric Wizard Ports Offline?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Rhidian
Advisor

SAN Fabric Wizard Ports Offline?

When I attempt to create a SAN Fabric the status is set to fail as all the ports seem to be unavailable, any ideas?

In the Interconnect Bay I can see the correct settings but the connector status states NOT-LOGGED-IN.

8 REPLIES 8
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Re: SAN Fabric Wizard Ports Offline?

Hi, what are you trying to do?

"Create SAN Fabric"?

Do you have anything logged on/connected to the SAN-switch?
Rhidian
Advisor

I have directly connected the SAN to a HP VC 8GB FC Module on a c7000 blade chassis.

Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Ah ok.

Have any of the servers booted up?
And you've created the profiles and port mapping and such in the c-class? Zoning done?
Rhidian
Advisor

Yes I have a server booted up that is connected to the FC module, I have created the SAN fabric and mapped it to the uplink port 1, I have no idea what zoning is.  I have also edited the server profile so that the FC SAN Name appears in th FC HBA Connection table.

Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Zoning is done on the SAN-switches and in a zone you specify an initiator WWN on a hba in a server and a WWN on a target like disk/tape. You can also specify domainid,portid but I suppose this may not be best with virtual connect.

It's also possible to run without zoning, if you've specified default access to allow this.

Rhidian
Advisor

I'm not using SAN switches I'm directly connecting a XP20000.

Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Oh wow, I didn't know this was possible, so unfortunately don't know how this would be set up..
Presumably the XP20000 supports NPIV connections (and N_ports) directly on a host port.

From the XP - do you see the WWNs there? Maybe you need to present a lun before the server logs in?
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor
Solution

I suspect this may not work because supposedly the VC module does not provide any Fibre Channel services (like name service/routing etc).

Which also is the reason why you cannot connect a target to a Brocade Switch in Access Gateway mode without having the switch connected to a SAN-switch in normal mode.