HPE Community read-only access December 15, 2018
This is a maintenance upgrade. You will be able to read articles and posts, but not post or reply.
Hours:
Dec 15, 4:00 am to 10:00 am UTC
Dec 14, 10:00 pm CST to Dec 15, 4:00 am CST
Dec 14, 8:00 pm PST to Dec 15, 2:00 am PST
BladeSystem Virtual Connect
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Server Boot Issue: Boot Device is being configured by Virtual Connect

chuckk281
Trusted Contributor

Server Boot Issue: Boot Device is being configured by Virtual Connect

Taha had a customer issue:

Hi All,

I am currently facing an issue in Boot-From-SAN environment. The server is booting up fine initially, and I am able to drop an RDP job to install ESX 4.0U2 onto the server. However, after the initial PXE boot, the server constantly loops at the stage shown by the image below. It does not proceed beyond this stage.

I have tried changing the Server, creating a new profile, removed multiple paths from the EVA (single path boot). The server has an Emulex 4Gb HBA and is connected to an EVA 4400.

Any Ideas??? I would really appreciate any suggestions at this point.

Dan had some workarounds to try:

You may not “try” a different version of VC with Matrix and remain supported.

Unreleased/draft workaround follows. This may help or it may not:

Choose from one of the following workarounds:

1. If storage volume redundancy is required:

a.Configure your Fibre Channel HBA as primary boot in RBSU manually.

i.    In RBSU, disable the Embedded Smart Array boot controller

ii.    Move your Fibre Channel HBA to first in boot order.

b  Do not include the “Deploy ProLiant System Configuration (BL BFS)” job in your HPIO job folder.

2.  If storage volume redundancy is not required and port 1 of your FC HBA must be selected for boot:

a, While creating Storage Pool Entry, deselect all redundancy options in the Volume & Path Definition section.

b. Select Fibre Channel HBA port 1 as your primary boot enabled port.

c. You may optionally configure everything else for multi-path in this case (such as, add both server HBA WWNs to the Host ports in Command View and zone for multi-path).

d.Include “Deploy ProLiant System Configuration (BL BFS)” job in HPIO job folder.

3. If storage volume redundancy is not required and port 2 of your FC HBA must be selected for boot:

a.Configure your Fibre Channel HBA port 2 as primary boot in RBSU manually.

i.    In RBSU, disable the Embedded Smart Array boot controller

ii.    Move your Fibre Channel HBA port 2 to first in boot order.

b. Do not include the “Deploy ProLiant System Configuration (BL BFS)” job in your HPIO job folder.

And Jaoa replied:

I have just ran into this on a Matrix install and we have used workaround 1 with success (no more ‘Boot Device is being configured…’ messages).

Comments or suggestions?