BladeSystem - General
1753679 Members
5677 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion

Switching Flexfabric 10gb/24 VC configuration vLan settings from "Map Vlan Tags" to "Tunnel vLan Tag

it61066
Frequent Advisor

Switching Flexfabric 10gb/24 VC configuration vLan settings from "Map Vlan Tags" to "Tunnel vLan Tag

Dears,

I have a C7000 Blade enclosure with two Flexfabric 10gb modules and ESXi blade servers running using Standard virtual switching configuration. The customer needs to switch to Virtual Distributed Switching configuration so we need to enable pass-through vLans. Can we switch from Map vLan Tags to Tunnel vLan Tags without impacting the connectivity of the servers? we will create a new uplink set for vDS and keep other servers using mapped vLans.

HPE ASE Proliant-Synergy & Storage Certified Engineer
Clustering & Virtualization Support (Microsoft & Vmware)

1 REPLY 1
AmRa
HPE Pro

Re: Switching Flexfabric 10gb/24 VC configuration vLan settings from "Map Vlan Tags" to &q

When creating a new network in VC Manager, it is asked to choose between Tunnel VLAN Tags and Map VLAN Tags:

Details
Map VLAN Tags will allow the VC-Enet modules to accept incoming frames with valid server VLAN tags and translate server-assigned VLANs into corresponding internal network VLANs, thus placing the server packet on the correct network. When these frames reach the uplinks, network VLANs are once again translated into external data center VLANs. Similarly, VLANs are translated back to server-assigned VLANs (or stripped and untagged) before sending frames out to servers.

When the Tunnel VLAN Tags option is selected, server VLAN tagging is supported only on networks with dedicated uplinks and cannot be used with shared uplink sets.

In summary:

Map VLAN Tags can be used with multiple networks over a single link (SUS), this is not possible when Tunnel VLAN Tagging is selected.

I am an HPE Employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo