108799 Solutions
New Discussion

UnFlex a nc553i

chuckk281
Trusted Contributor

UnFlex a nc553i

Christoph would like just 2 palin ol' NICs:

Hi

I have a customer that want to use the LOMs of the BL460c g7 a plain 10 Gb devices. Is there a way to change the personality of the LOM to have only 2x  10 Gb Ports.  At the moment we set it up as 3 x 100 Mb and the rest dedicated to the Nic presented to the Server. But doing this way I will always have 3 unconnected nics visible in The OS (Sles11)

Ramu responded:

Configure the server profile with only one NIC port, all 10Gbps will be assigned to the single port....

And Vincent also replied:

That won’t make the other FlexNICs disappear at the hardware level. As soon as a VC server profile has at least one connection mapped to a Flex-10 port, that port is carved into 4 physical functions and the 4 PFs will be enumerated from the PCI bus when the OS boots and they will be seen as unconnected NICs, there is no way around that.

Depending on the OS, it can be possible to “hide” these unconnected NICs. I wouldn’t know how to do it on SLES11 (I almost never deal with SLES), but on RHEL I’d suggest setting in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-ethn for the nics I’m not interested in. It’s probably different on SLES though

Other comments or suggestions?