1752577 Members
4411 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Using 1Gb Uplinks on VC Flex-10

chuckk281
Trusted Contributor

We were asked: Customer wants to uplink Flex-10 module at 1gb until they move into a new data center in a few months. Can they uplink the Flex10 module at 1gb? They can use 1Gb SFP on the Flex-10. 453151-B21 HP BLc VC 1Gb SX SFP Opt Kit Or 453154-B21 HP BLc VC 1Gb RJ-45 SFP Opt Kit Here is the part numbers link: http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/13127_div/13127_div.pdf And the info is in the support manual: http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c01608922/c01608922.pdf?jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN
8 REPLIES 8
chopper3
Frequent Advisor

Chuck I believe that they could use 10Gb SFP+'s today as they'll switch down to 1Gb if they can't negotiate 10Gb - that way there's less to change when they move.
chuckk281
Trusted Contributor

Thanks Chopper3. I will suggest that to them.
chuckk281
Trusted Contributor

I got this from one of the engineers here. "No. If you use a 10Gb SFP+ module, you can only connect it to a 10Gb port following the same standard (SR, LR or LRM) on the other side, and the link will operate at 10Gb. The auto-negotiation that may occur with Flex-10 is if you connect a Flex-10 NIC in a server to a non Flex-10 switch or VC module that has 1Gb downlinks: the Flex-10 NIC will then automatically go down to 1Gb but this only applies to the link between the server and the interconnect (i.e. the backplane)."
Leng Wee

Hi Chuck, so is it possible to use 453154-B21 HP BLc VC 1Gb RJ-45 SFP Opt Kit on the uplink port of VC Flex-10? Reason being we will plan for 10G FC uplink in next year budget as cisco 10G prices are still way high this year I was thinking of just populating all 16 ports of the Flex-10 modules with the SFP 1Gb RG-45 first (since we will start with just 4-5 blades per chassis running esx. Next year we will then expand to the max 16.
Jeroen_Kleen
HPE Pro

Hello Leng Wee, Yes this will be possible. Keep however the following in mind when using the uplink ports on the VC flex10 module: X1 is shared between a SFP+ and the CX4 port. You can only have 1 connected as both have the ID of X1. So if you use CX4 for stacking link then you can't use the X1 SFP+ port X2-X6 are normal dedicated SFP+ uplink ports that can use all 10GB SFP+ or 1GB SFP+ modules and that don't share the port with any other port. You can always use these uplink ports as uplinks to a higher core switch. X7 & X8 are again shared ports. They are shared with the the 2 10GB interlinks that are available between the VC module in bay 1 and in bay 2. You should ALWAYS have at least 1 of these interlinks available;meaning you shouldn't use both X7 & X8 at any time. As soon as you put a SFP module in the X8 port and get a active link on this SFP+ uplink port then then the X8 interlink connection will become disabled. So to summarize; if you don't use any other VC module in any other horizontal bays except for bay 1 & 2 then you have max. 7 uplink ports available. If you have more VC modules in bays 3-8 then you loose 1 uplink port for the stacking cable. sidenote: If you have cheap CX4 ports available on your CISCO switch then you can use as well a SFP+ copper cable 0.5m for stacking (on a X2-X7 port) to still start easily and in a 'cheap' way with at least 1 10GB uplink port per VC module. Enjoy? Cheers, Jeroen
(I am an HPE employee)
konakcc
Advisor

I have to agree with Jeroen, there are simplier ways to do this. The cost to deploy 8 1 GE ports exceeds the cost of a 10GE port so why not just enable one 10GE port on each switch.
Pascal
Occasional Advisor

we had the same questions, after some studies, cost per port was better using 10 Gb instead of multiple one Gb even on core switches side.
Adrian Clint
Honored Contributor

Hi Jeroen I've always assumed I could add 1Gb SFPs to the 10Gb SPF+ ports as you say. But I did a Matrix config in SalesBuilder today and it would only let me add 1Gb SFPs to the SFP ports. I could not add them to the 10Gb SPF+ ports.