1745904 Members
4155 Online
108723 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: VC 1/10 to VC Flex10 different uplinks migration procedure

chuckk281
Trusted Contributor

VC 1/10 to VC Flex10 different uplinks migration procedure

Darren had a question regarding upgrading from VC 1/10 module to a VC Flex-10 module:

******************************************************************************************************************

Do we have a migration procedure for moving a customer from VC 1/10 (2 uplinks sets)  to Flex10 single (10Gb uplink set) to preserve the original VC 1/10 server profiles?

***************************************************************************************************************

Ken had a very simple and straight forward approach:

*************************************************************************************************************

Step 1: Backup the VC domain

Step 2: Delete the VC domain

Step 3: Replace the VC modules

Step 4: Restore the VC domain

Step 5: Adjust the VC domain config.

***********************************************************************************************************

Any comments, additions, words of wisdom?

2 REPLIES 2
clouts85

FYI, we just tried this approach and it went very very badly....  we ended up setting both oa and vc's to factory default and starting over.  That finally fixed everything.  We saw problems with mac addresses being different according to the Flex 10 VC versus what the blades thought their mac addresses were....  The blades and the external Cisco switch were in agreement as to what the mac addrs were but not the VC.  Oddly enough some of the servers worked and some didn't.   We also experienced problems with the FC VC that went away after a complete fresh install.  We have since received an email from Charles Gardetto of the Virtual Connect team stating that this did not work because the configs are not compatible  between the 1/10 VC and the Flex 10 VC

Life's too short, eat dessert first. :)
Did
Occasional Contributor

OK I was about to plan a migration and found the post that says "read page 49 of the VC Flex-10 user guide". I was surprisded by the small number of steps involved in this migration. I was very doubtful the procedure would work and I'm not surprised it failed badly.

I thank you for posting this, it confirms that I should plan this very carefuly and I'm expecting to rebuild my VC domain from scratch. The problem is to estimate the maintenance window!

Cheers,

Did